•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Budget Bronco

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Ok, so I guess I'll start a build thead for this and post progress as I go.

Here is what I'm starting with:

It's an 84 with stock drivetrain, 3.73 open. The rear is getting trac-loc, and other plans include:
Plans include:
- Remove exhaust, run 3" pipe after cat, side dump before rear tire
- Sealed snorkel system, run passenger side to roof level
- 2" lift (want to do it cheap and fit 31"s)
- 31" Mud or aggressive AT's
- Roof rack w/spare tire mount
- Off road lighting (four 100W on roof, two 55W on bumper, utility lights on rear)
- 8,000LB winch, front bumper mounted
- Convert A/C compressor to air compressor for emergency on-board air w/ 5 gallon tank in back
-Rear gas can holder (5 Gal emergency can)
- Sway bar delete.

My goal is to have a completely self sufficient vehicle I can take anywhere...

All the off road lighting has arrived, got a killer deal on 4 31" Dunlop Mud Rovers (new for $500), the 2" lift spacers and blocks are in, so is the air tank and other goodies. So far I'm well on my way to keeping this thing under $1500 total, truck included! :headbang:

Last edited:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Looking forward to the build!

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Looks like a solid builder there. Auto, correct?
I might be in Pontoon Beach in a couple of weeks.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Clean BII, but why do you want to delete sway bars on that thing? as if it's not top heavy enough...

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Looks like a solid builder there. Auto, correct?
I might be in Pontoon Beach in a couple of weeks.
Nope, 5 speed TK. :D

Clean BII, but why do you want to delete sway bars on that thing? as if it's not top heavy enough...
I want as much travel from the suspension as possible. Removing the sway bars is the easiest way to get it, plus it's free.

This is a 3rd vehicle for me, mainly for when the roads get bad in the winter, and to go camping/trail riding in the summer. It's not a daily driver so the sway bars arn't as important to me.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
when the shifter gets there in a day or two, take it for a drive with the sway bars OFF. make sure to go around some good curves, be ready for the roll feeling, though. I took off the rear bar on my 84 and hooked a curve at around 35 that I normally took around 55-60, and it was <not> fun. The BII felt like it was going to roll over in its' own shadow.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Ok, so I got some work done this weekend, we pulled the B2 in my buddies shop and got to work...

Got the shifter installed, decided to see how it flexed (not too bad for stock), and drove it into the shop.

Turns out the carburetor is totally F#@KED. All the floats do is overfill with gas and eventually flood the engine and kill it. So it looks like my Duraspark conversion will now take a front seat, anyone have some spare Duraspark parts?

Next on the schedule was sound, the head unit was screwed, so I scored a el cheapo head unit brand new for $20. It only has FM radio, but has USB and AUX inputs so it works for me. Hooked it up and fixed some loose wiring and I was in business. Then I wired up the tach so I know what the motor is doing...

Then we stripped the headliner, because, there wasn't one. All that was left was the styrofoam piece and insulation, so we ripped it all down. It looked like crap anyway, the bare blue metal is better anyway.

Then I took care of the rear hatch, I took Plastidip camo tan and did the whole hatch. Surprisingly it was a pretty close match for what it had been painted with.

Finally we got the 31's mounted, they rub a little bit, not bad, but the lift will solve that.

I'll be working on it again next Sunday, so I'll post more then...

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Stroke of genius! Since my spare tire carrier is screwed up, I'm going to cut it up and use it to build rock sliders. They're always telling me to recycle...

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
'scribed...

Go LED lights... not halogens.
I'm waiting for updates!

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
'scribed...

Go LED lights... not halogens.
I'm waiting for updates!
I would, but I scored all of my lighting for $70, that includes the 2 55W, all 4 100W, and the rear "tractor" lights. All my emergency lighting is LED if that makes a difference :icon_thumby:

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Small update:

I continued stripping things to get everything wired and installed, including my emergency lighting, so the whole interior is a mess! I also started mocking up the snorkel to figure out the best way to mount it...

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Made some more progress on the Bronco the other day, first of all, no more TFI! Got the ECM and wiring harness ripped out, and it looks soooo much cleaner under the hood! Still waiting on the carb to go with it, but all the duraspark in on, and it runs! Just not well, because the carb is junk...

Got the CB installed and a lot of my emergency lighting too...

Before the night was finished, we decided to install the lift blocks in the rear. Even just 2 inches makes a BIG difference in appearance and clearance, I didn't lift the front yet, so the difference is readily visible. The rear was super simple, just dropped the axle, put the blocks in and bolted it all back up.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
More progress!

Got the front end lifted using 2.5" spacers, and of course we now have a caster/camber issue on our hands...

In the process of pulling the front end apart, we realized that the front shocks were toast, so they were replaced with a set of Monrow Extreme Duty shocks for a 1999 Crown Vic, fit like a glove, with more travel to boot!

We got the roof rack partially built before we ran out of argon for the welder. :icon_welder: Even just partially finished, it looks pretty good up there! :icon_hornsup:

We then moved on to the ball mount for the CB, got that installed and the coax ran, then fitted the 102" whip :icon_surprised:.

We also plumbed the air line from under the hood to the back and lucked out, there was already an access hole underneath the rear seat, so no holes had to be drilled!

My vision is slowly taking shape!

Finally, I came to the realization that wheeling in the summer without A/C might become pretty miserable, so I installed a $15 school bus style fan! It's a pretty good little fan for the money, the 'high' setting will damn near blow you outta the truck! :icon_twisted:

Welp, that's all for now, I'll have more for y'all next weekend!

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
No updates from last weekend, got snowed out! The Vic doesn't do so hot in any type of snow, so I didn't go to the shop. I did get some more parts ordered, so I can get back on it this coming weekend!

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Reviving this thread, here is a pic from about 2 years ago.

In the shop right now for a few of the things on the original list lol. This is the never ending project!

I think it'll be getting 32's next with new wheels, I think I can squeeze them in without trimming the fenders. Opinions?

Last edited:

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Moving forward!

The D35 and 8.8 have been retrieved! Next will be the 4.56 gears and lockers with full rebuild kits!

Snorkel has been installed, winch bumper built and installed. Alternator has been upgraded to 100amp from a 1984 Grand Marquis to support the extra electrical draw.

Next will be the axle swap, 32's, and possibly a little more lift.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Rear axle is done and ready to go in!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. I've seen them used on the 93+ Rangers, but not the Bronco II and first gen Ranger.