•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Don't laugh

JustBob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
OK, I just bought an '89 B2, 5 speed, manual T-case.
I'm not sure if it has manual hubs, I haven't brought it home yet.
What are the steps to put it into 4wd?
And does anyone know if there's somewhere I can download an owner's manual?
THanks

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
To put it 4high, just move the lever.
To put it in 4low, you must be at a complete stop, clutch engaged, then shift.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Looks like its supposed to have manual hubs, the knobs have been broken off. Those will need attention, and possibly replacement hubs may be the best route to take at that point, not knowing their condition and given the actual knobs are broke off kind of wonder what they did there.

Turn the hubs to the lock position and pull the lever in the cab into 4hi, once the hubs are engaged its a shift on the fly 4WD system between 2WD and 4WD high range. To get into 4WD low range, stop shift the transmission to neutral (automatic), or press in the clutch with a manual transmission then shift from 2WD to 4Lo or 4WD hi to 4Lo then shift transmission back into gear or release the clutch with a manual transmission.

To disengage the hubs, turn them to the free position and backup in a straight light about 10 feet, they're usually pretty quick to engage/disengage within a couple feet or so.

Edit: As far as downloading an owner's manual I am not aware of any place to download them unfortunately. The best thing would be to get one from a pick a part yard, I've got pretty lucky to get a few manuals over the years that way. Or check ebay.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Yup, forgot to tell you to engage the hubs. Duh.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jump on ebay and search for the manuals for you BII. You'll never regret having them.
I bought the full owners manual set that came with a BII new, the Ford service manual and the Electrical and Vacuum trouble shooting manual.
I have found the Electrical and Vacuum trouble shooting manual especially helpful.

Don't waste your money on Chiltons or Haynes.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yup, forgot to tell you to engage the hubs. Duh.
The 4WD works better when the hubs are engaged...an additional plus with manual hubs you can have low range 2WD if you throw it in 4Lo and leave the hubs disengaged.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Jump on ebay and search for the manuals for you BII. You'll never regret having them.
I bought the full owners manual set that came with a BII new, the Ford service manual and the Electrical and Vacuum trouble shooting manual.
I have found the Electrical and Vacuum trouble shooting manual especially helpful.

Don't waste your money on Chiltons or Haynes.
I found the complete owner's manual set for my 88 B2 at a pick a part, they didn't charge me for them, I had just the owner's manual for it previously and happened to find the complete set one day and grabbed them...I don't have the factory service manual set yet though and I certainly would like to get those one of these days, just wondering if I could get away with the PDF version and just print off the page(s) I need if I'm working on something.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
PDF would work too. I like sitting back and thumbing through the manual but also would like to print it off, you've got me thinking to go get the pdf so I'll have both.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
PDF would work too. I like sitting back and thumbing through the manual but also would like to print it off, you've got me thinking to go get the pdf so I'll have both.
The manual is great if I'm just looking through it in the house but when I'm out working on a vehicle I don't want to get the manual covered in grease, oil, etc....so I figured the PDF version would be better so you could just print out what you need and if you destroy the printouts in the process of fixing your vehicle its a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing a $100+ manual LOL.