•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 Bronco 2 - Sat for 15 years

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
My first vehicle was a 1989 Bronco 2. It had deep red interior and a 4.0L. I loved that truck, but it was 2010 and I think that's when gas was in the $4 a gallon range. I traded it for a Jetta that leaked gas into the oil and ended up getting about the same MPG anyway. I've regretted that ever since.

So last year my dad found a 1984 Bronco 2 for sale for $500 a few hours away. Apparently it sat in a barn for about 5 years because the starter went bad and the owner never fixed it. Then that owner sold it to someone else where it sat in a field for 10 or so years. We drove out to look at it, and it looked pretty rough. After we found a few nasty things (the carpet was soaking wet front to back), the guy asked for $400. I think the seller and I both walked away thinking the other guy was a sucker. So we towed it home and it sat outside again for 8 months over winter.

In spring, I finally started working on it. First thing I did was pull the carpet. The carpet was wet because of a nice little hole on the roof.

Next, we chased down a few brake line leaks. And by a few break line leaks, I mean that we literally replaced every single brake line on the truck. Also completely redid the back drum brakes and put new pads upfront.

We also did the Duraspark conversion. I was mostly along for the ride while my dad did all the work on this. I've got a good idea of what he did, but FYI it wasn't really me lol

New plugs, new wires, new distributor, etc. Finally got it running at this point. I drove it home about 15 miles away and noticed it didn't really like going from a dead stop. When I finally mad it to the house there was smoke coming from the front driver side wheel. The caliper was stuck on and the brakes had been on the whole ride home.... which explains my interesting ride home.

So of course, new wheel bearings, new front rotors, new brake pads, new calipers and at this point the only two things in the entire brake system that aren't new are the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. Sorry for this bad picture of a wheel with a shiny rotor.

I drove it like that for a few weeks. It's been taking a solid 15-20 seconds of cranking to start. So next on the list is a gasket kit for the carburetor and I'll do a complete rebuild/refresh.

Also, I noticed it kinda stunk. Nothing crazy just had a nice little musty smell to it. I was working on the radio when I pulled the driver side rear speaker and was HIT with a wretched piss smell. I could see a rats nest behind the whole rear panel :bad:. So one fine day I pulled that panel off and got a good look....

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Definitely don't wanna put groceries in your trunk after you've seen this....

Of course after I pulled this panel off, I pulled the other side off and found it wasn't quite so bad, but still nasty over there too. Found that the rats/mice also made it up to the headliner.

So the headliner isn't going back in. I'll figure that out in the future, but MAN did that thing stiiiiiiink. After a three days of hell, it's finally "clean". Everything I could find has been pulled out, vacuumed, bleached, vacuumed, febreezed and then bleached one more time for good measure.

Then put her all back together....

And took someones recommendation to fix a loose hatch with some PEX pipe! It actually works amazingly well, but we'll see how long the plastic holds up.

Here's some bonus pics of the bad rust spots and a 20 year old spare tire that is stuck on at this point. I could cut it off but don't have another spare to put on, so I'm just gonna leave it for now cause it looks okay lol

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd

Front suspension. Plan to get new shocks, tie rods, and bushings up here as soon as I can afford it. You can also see she's got a slight leak from up top (already replaced driver side valve cover gasket which did wonders).

Here's the engine bay as she sits now.

There also seems to be a nice melted hole in the heater box. Sorry for the weird angle, it was hard to get perspective for this shot...

Bonus shot of my dad's beast.

Here's a video of mine idling.

So there you go. You're all caught up now.

Things for me to do:
  • Carburetor rebuild
  • New carpet
  • New headliner
  • New shocks all around
  • New tie rods
  • New bushings for front suspension/steering
  • Figure out the ticking as seen in video above
  • Replace passenger side valve cover gasket to address slight leak
  • Figure out transmission fluid leak (very small)

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Looks like you're well on your way to a great truck. I had a similar year b2 but with a whole lot more rust. Your floors look surprisingly good.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, you have your work cut out for you.

BabyBroncoDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Wow looks great! Cant wait to post mine.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Diggin the thread! Keep us posted

wend3lrt

Reaction score
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Looks like there's a lot of rust underneath. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more updates and pics.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Not a lot of rust by northern standards. If you can't break a hole in the frame with a hammer its good to go IMHO. With mine I wire brushed the scale rust off and used Eastwood rust encapsulator followed by a blac top coat.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Looks like you're well on your way to a great truck. I had a similar year b2 but with a whole lot more rust. Your floors look surprisingly good.
Yes, the floors are okay... for now lol. I still need to bondo up the whole on the roof.

Looks like there's a lot of rust underneath. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more updates and pics.
Surprisingly not a ton of (destructive) rust on the frame/underside. Obviously it's rusty, but there aren't big holes or giant flaky patches really.

Anyway, I've had a busy summer with this truck. First thing first, I had to rebuild the carburetor. I was having major issues getting the truck started from cold. Like hold the key for 15-20 seconds before it would turn over issues.

Here's some before shots:

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
And here are some "after" shots. I still need to take some pictures of the carburetor in the truck.

Then of course, I ordered a rebuild kit. And then of course.... I opened it to realize it was the wrong kit. Sort of.

So then after waiting another week for the new kit, I found out that maybe it wasn't the wrong kit. I think someone had already "rebuilt" this carburetor, because some of the gaskets didn't match any of the kits. . Idk. I got it eventually but it's been a while since I rebuilt it. I'm pretty sure I discovered that it had a 1984 Bronco II gasket on top, and then a 1980 f-150 power valve. Something funky like that.

Here you can see I tried to use a paper clip in place of the original metal bar. Becauuuuuuuse. The stupid bar was an S shape insted of a U shape, where the ends faced opposite directions. But it clearly needed to be the U type where they both face the same way. I'm not sure how the hell it was originally installed, but it was wrong.

I ended up using a torch to get that piece real hot and twist it the right way. Worked out well, will need to post a pic of that later.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd

The top gasket I ended up using. It doesn't match the original 100%, but looks pretty much right.

Here it is all done.

I will post a full "after" shot in the next few days. I've also done a few other projects besides this, that I need to take some photos of. That's all for now folks!

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Notice anything different???

Look at that shiny new carb!

And what's that?? A no A/C heater box! With no hole!

But wait! There's more! A new power steering pump!

Soooo pretty

So next up, I'm looking at shocks and tie rod ends. Also need some new window belts / weatherstrip to make winter a little more tolerable.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
You got quite the project there.
Quiiiiite the project.

So, I ordered the window belts/weatherstripping. I am still working on this project, but here's a shot of the door without the door panel and a shot of the other side with the panel. Just for the sake of documentation.

I replaced the shocks this weekend with the help of my dad and his lift. You can see the new brake pads/rotors/calipers/lines here too.

Beauty shot

Here you can see the rear shocks and the new tank too. The underside is not in too terrible of shape as I mentioned earlier.

The transmission and oil pan both have a slight leak.... that's a project for the future. Sorry for the weird angles. It was hard to get a good perspective standing under the truck.

Here's the front end. Next month, I plan to replace all of the tie rods. The driver side outer tie rod is toast. Or at least looks toast.

When I get my window seal project wrapped up, I will post more thorough pictures. I had a hard time finding info for it, so hopefully that will help people in the future.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Very Nice

Dennis

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
The Bronco II is still alive and well boys. I'll post an update soon. I've had some issues related to the cold weather, but she is still chugging along.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Have you found a source for a new headliner? Mine is missing all the cloth.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I found the solution......re-cover it. Watched a u-tube video and it looks easy enough. Gonna check on material Thursday.