•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Cooling system problems....

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Sprung a leak on the POS plastic/aluminum radiator (too many heat cycles I guess). Tried some Barr's leak stop with the hope it would stop. No go....ordered a new radiator and thermostat. Was checking over the hoses and fan, when I discovered that the plastic fan was cracked in numerous spots around the hub. I am considering swapping in a flex fan (put the clutch assembly on the shelf) or a 12v electric due to the cost of a replacement OEM fan ($150 give or take). I'm leaning towards an aluminum/steel flex fan since I have used them before. I know the "benefits" of using an electric but I'd like to keep it simple (and cheap).

Anyone have any opinions.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
If you do any water crossings the electric with a temperature switch and manual on/off switch in the cab. The old style flex fan will rob some power.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
On my 88, the clutch and fan were less than $100, not OEM. I think I ordered the fan from LMC, clutch from local part store.
Flexalite 160 fan kit for $200 is supposed to fit if you don't want search through a junkyard. I called flexalite and asked them and actually have one sitting in the box near me. Pollen season came before I got a chance to install it, when my allergies calm down I'll put it on.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I found just the fan on eBay for less than $30.......now I have to see if I can get the assembly off the water pump. Takes a special Ford tool according to my manual (which I can make I think). Too cold and snowy to attack it right now though.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
On mine, I bought wrench at the local auto parts store. It was less than 20 bucks. Maybe the parts store has a loaner?
Allow me to throw in my usual advice when doing this. Put a piece of cardboard between the rad and the fan so if the fan/clutch slips out of your hand you don't put a hole in your new rad.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sprung a leak on the POS plastic/aluminum radiator (too many heat cycles I guess). Tried some Barr's leak stop with the hope it would stop. No go....ordered a new radiator and thermostat. Was checking over the hoses and fan, when I discovered that the plastic fan was cracked in numerous spots around the hub. I am considering swapping in a flex fan (put the clutch assembly on the shelf) or a 12v electric due to the cost of a replacement OEM fan ($150 give or take). I'm leaning towards an aluminum/steel flex fan since I have used them before. I know the "benefits" of using an electric but I'd like to keep it simple (and cheap).

Anyone have any opinions.
You shouldn't lose any power with a flex fan under 3000 RPM's. The good part of the flex fan is it is always on, and unlike an electric fan set-up does not drag the engine with an additional electrical load. I live in a warm climate and don't want any electrical, or mechanical failures when it comes to cooling.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Finally got the cracked cooling fan off (had to build the special Ford tool), got all the stuff ordered for installing an electric fan and got it all installed and set. Used a 16" 3000 cfm fan, with 40 amp relay and adjustable temp control. Have it set to turn on at 195 degrees and off at 175 degrees. This with a 193 degree thermostat......seems to work fine.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Finally got the cracked cooling fan off (had to build the special Ford tool), got all the stuff ordered for installing an electric fan and got it all installed and set. Used a 16" 3000 cfm fan, with 40 amp relay and adjustable temp control. Have it set to turn on at 195 degrees and off at 175 degrees. This with a 193 degree thermostat......seems to work fine.
Good job. What did you do for a fan shroud?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Since the fan is mounted flat on the radiator no shroud is required.....the shroud I removed is in the rafters along with a few other BII parts.