•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New heads for my 1987 BII

Mathewsky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi my Bronco friends,
My little Bronco II needs new heads, it shows coolant consumption and milky oil cap...
I live in France and I usually buy most of the parts on Rockauto. They don't have it so I need to find another car parts company. I need something not too extensive, that ships worlwide and who sell both right and left. Any idea please help!
Thanks;)
Matt

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd

I got two new cylinder heads from these guys almost a year ago and haven't had any issues at all with them. They're not stock, they're a reinforced casting that's supposed to prevent cracking (which is a known issue for 2.9l heads). There's no modification that needs to be done to fit them, they bolt right up. It's been about a year now but I remember them being the only new heads I could find at this low of a price. You can either get them with the valvetrain (the ones I linked) or as a bare head with no valvetrain included. I called specifically to find out if the valvetrain parts they use are good quality and I remember they are, but can't remember exactly what manufacturer.

One thing I will point out is coolant consumption and milky oil doesn't necessarily mean you need new heads. It might one or both head gaskets leaking. When I pulled both heads off my engine I had them tested at a machine shop to check for cracks and one was cracked and the other wasn't. I decided to get two heads anyways though because of the reinforcements added to prevent future failures. There's two different types of heads used on the 2.9l engines, ones with oval shaped pedestals and ones with rectangular shaped pedestals (the pedestals are where the rocker arm shaft bolts to, three pedestals on each head). The rectangular pedestals are the "improved" casting, but I had one of each type on my engine and the rectangular pedestal head is the one that cracked on me. They don't crack from normal use, just from overheating.

Try not to run the engine if the head gaskets are leaking. Coolant in the oil can cause excess wear on basically everything in the engine, because the oil isn't lubricating as it should. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mathewsky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

I got two new cylinder heads from these guys almost a year ago and haven't had any issues at all with them. They're not stock, they're a reinforced casting that's supposed to prevent cracking (which is a known issue for 2.9l heads). There's no modification that needs to be done to fit them, they bolt right up. It's been about a year now but I remember them being the only new heads I could find at this low of a price. You can either get them with the valvetrain (the ones I linked) or as a bare head with no valvetrain included. I called specifically to find out if the valvetrain parts they use are good quality and I remember they are, but can't remember exactly what manufacturer.

One thing I will point out is coolant consumption and milky oil doesn't necessarily mean you need new heads. It might one or both head gaskets leaking. When I pulled both heads off my engine I had them tested at a machine shop to check for cracks and one was cracked and the other wasn't. I decided to get two heads anyways though because of the reinforcements added to prevent future failures. There's two different types of heads used on the 2.9l engines, ones with oval shaped pedestals and ones with rectangular shaped pedestals (the pedestals are where the rocker arm shaft bolts to, three pedestals on each head). The rectangular pedestals are the "improved" casting, but I had one of each type on my engine and the rectangular pedestal head is the one that cracked on me. They don't crack from normal use, just from overheating.

Try not to run the engine if the head gaskets are leaking. Coolant in the oil can cause excess wear on basically everything in the engine, because the oil isn't lubricating as it should. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Hi McWillies,
Thanks for your reply, I just get it now as it came in my spam forder:(
That price is very attractive! But I think it won't fit my 87 Bronco II because the one you linked says 89-92 BII..
And 89 92 is the next body generation BII right?

Mathewsky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Also you told me that it's probably only the head gasket, yes maybe but as you also told this motor is well known for cracked heads.. so to prevent future problems without having to pull the motors two times😰 Maybe I'll order new heads..

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
Hi McWillies,
Thanks for your reply, I just get it now as it came in my spam forder:(
That price is very attractive! But I think it won't fit my 87 Bronco II because the one you linked says 89-92 BII..
And 89 92 is the next body generation BII right?
As long as you have the 2.9l the heads should fit. The '89 model was the front-end re-design but there weren't any changes to the engine.

Also you told me that it's probably only the head gasket, yes maybe but as you also told this motor is well known for cracked heads.. so to prevent future problems without having to pull the motors two times😰 Maybe I'll order new heads..
It is known for cracked heads, but only if the engine overheats. If you have the money to buy the new heads then I'd say 100% do it, but don't break the bank buying new ones if the old ones are fine.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
I replaced my head gaskets and intake manifold gasket last weekend, had the same issue on my '90 Bronco II 2.9. When I took the intake manifold off, I noticed the bolts on one side were very loose and I am hoping that was the cause (leaking intake manifold gasket). It would lose a liter of coolant into the engine in 50 miles. Since the operation I've driven about 150 miles and so far no coolant loss, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If this did not fix things, will buy these improved heads. You also need new head bolts.
A Bronco II in France, ca c'est rare!