•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent content by APF1984BII

1. A

What did you do to your Bronco today?

Glad everyone's okay, 89RanBrII. Sucks about the Bronco, though. On another, hopefully happier note, I got the intake manifold torqued down on the 2.8 in my '84...
  2. A

Weighing induction/ignition options...

Whoops - my mistake! The A4LD rebuild appears on explorerforum.com, by Glacier991 (another Chris). I haven't read all the way through it, but it seems like Chris researched all the weak points of the transmission and substituted more-heavy-duty components where possible. A Google search for...
  3. A

Ooh, I think you're right about the driver's side O2 sensor, tw205. Looking back, I remember NOW twisting one out of the left manifold. My transmission is the factory 3-speed automatic. Really would like to slip in an A4LD, but after doing the reliability rebuild featured on this forum. Think...
  4. A

Thanks, tw205. Exactly the kind of feedback I'm hoping for. If I'm remembering things right, there's not an O2 sensor of any sort in the exhaust system, so nothing to report rich/lean exhaust to the ECM. Also, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the factory-issue Motorcraft carb only has a throttle...
  5. A

I'm just about to set the intake manifold on top of the 2.8 in my '84, so I'm at crunch time to figure out - am I going to go back with the stock TFI distributor and electronic Motorcraft 2150 carb, or do the Duraspark/Holley carb thing, or do the fuel injection thing? Cost, simplicity and...
  6. A

Duraspark conversion on 1984 2.8...

So I'm thinking of rounding up all the parts needed to convert my '84 BII's 2.8 to Duraspark for increased reliability and simplicity. Just want to make sure before I start the project that it can be done independently of the carb or fuel injection swaps. As I'm typing this, it seems that there...
  7. A

1984 2.8 head/gasket cooling mod...

As I'm getting ready to put my heads back on my 2.8 v6, I saw a tip on this forum that advises drilling additional holes in the heads, using the gasket as a guide, between the cylinders where the exhaust valves are next-door neighbors. One of my heads had been to the machine shop for a burned...
  8. A

'84 2.8 A.I.R. pipe/exhaust manifold bolt?

Got the right side exhaust manifold off yesterday and pulled the A.I.R. pipe/check valve retaining bolt out. Took it to work today and used our diameter/pitch plate to determine it's an M8x1.25.
  9. A

'84 2.8 A.I.R. pipe/exhaust manifold bolt?

As I posted in the BII section of The Ranger Station's forum, I have the left side head back from the machine shop, ready to go back on the engine in my '84 XLT BII. I have been able to remove the rusted-in headpipe studs, O2 sensor and broken-off stub of A.I.R. pipe. I have the retaining bolt...
  10. A

Best engine choice for swap into '84 BII...

Thanks, Dirt! Your advice is encouraging. I had just about resigned myself to a 4.0 swap with an A4OD chaser. Keeping the 2.8 and building it a little has a great deal more appeal. I would like an auto trans with one more gear, though - are there such a transmission that just slips right in...
  11. A

Best engine choice for swap into '84 BII...

I just discovered that the 2.8 in my 1984 has a leaking (probably burned) exhaust valve in the #5 cylinder. Just taking care of that is going to breathe fresh life into the little engine, but it won't be the end of the line for it or for the truck. While I will be swapping fuel injection onto...
  12. A

Best replacement for Motorcraft AWSF-42 spark plugs?

So, I got my '84 to run and idle on its own. There's plenty of further diagnostics and adjustments to make to get it closer to 100%, but it's on its way. Toward that end, what spark plugs are we using to replace the AWSF-42 in the 2.8l v-6? I would like to stay with Motorcraft if possible, but...
  13. A

1984 2.8 oil pressure sender question...

Thanks again, duffy. Yeah, seems the idiot light would not be the way to go. My panel is factory, pretty sure the oil pressure gauge is devoid of any numeric indicators. I think I found a smaller sender for the gauge: a Standard/Intermotor PS149 looks to be the size of a light sender, but...
  14. A

That's certainly possible, duffy, since I'm the guy that looked it up and sold it, too. The Motorcraft part looked awfully similar, though. Looking at a previous post, however, it seems like one responder mentioned an adapter, the purpose of which was to get the sender out and away from the...
  15. A

My father-in-law passed away recently and left me his old hunting rig, a 1984 BII XLT. The fuel pump was one of the first things to be replaced. While I was doing this, I decided to replace the oil pressure sender as well. The instrument panel carries the gauge, so I picked up the appropriate...