•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Recent content by Darel

1. D

Stalling / backfire right after startup

Geez, it's been a while since I updated this, my apologies. I know everyone has been waiting with bated breath to hear any news on my issue. :) In the end it seems like it was a combination of issues: dead battery, killed by a: bad starter, which became a real problem due to stalling from...
  2. D

Honestly I know vac on a good engine should be 20-22 but I've NEVER had an engine read that high. I'm good with 17, especially at 300k. There was an ocasional "stumble" on the needle, not rhythmic, and not sharp like a sticking valve or anything. Honestly the vac gauge tells me nothing that...
  3. D

Another update. Truck sat on the charger all night. Fired it up and immediately backed out of the driveway and started driving around. No issues. I do think it's still stumbly and needs to "clear its' throat" when idling, which is pretty much what started all this and needs to get fixed. But...
  4. D

Another update. I apologize but I haven't been able to dig too deep into this because I just don't have the time. I have to work through things in tiny 15-minute bite-sized chunks. Anyway, over the weekend I smoke-tested the entire vacuum system. No leaks. I pulled every plug and checked...
  5. D

No smoke. Guess I'll start tracking the vac leak. Thanks!
  6. D

By way of an update: I checked the timing, it's perfect. (plug out, checking off passenger's side front plug wire, right?). Replaced the intake air sensor. It was in terrible shape, completely coated in soot, and the plug itself had some corrosion inside and looked like it wasn't making good...
  7. D

For $8 I just ordered a new one. Not even worth my time taking the old one out without replacing it. Will update. Thank you!
  8. D

Gotcha. Believe it or not I actually did smoke test this a month or so ago when it was acting up and didn't find anything, but I also didn't really put a lot of effort into it. I'll have to dig into that a little more. Thanks!
  9. D

Hmmm.....vac leak. That's a possibility. What in the vacuum circuit is open in that first few minutes but then closes off?
  10. D

These have a timing chain.
  11. D

I should note, I am no stranger to brand new parts being bad out of the box, however the truck has done this since we've had it, and no changes I've made have had any effect at all. Could it be a timing issue? The backfire leads me to that.
  12. D

Replaced fuel pump last month. New filter when I "recommissioned" the truck two years ago, no crud in tank when I replaced the pump. Also, it'd be worse when warm / floored and it's not. I'm not ruling out some sort of injector issue (more likely an injector control issue) but there's nothing...
  13. D

'86 BII 5sp Having an annoying issue with my BII. When you go and start it cold, it will start and idle fine. High idle is OK, normal idle is fine too. However if you try to drive the truck anywhere, it just won't. It will gag and sputter and misfire, and backfire too under a load. Clutch in /...
  14. D

Painting dash?

'86 BII Eddie Bauer. The whole dash on my truck is badly discolored. I was wondering if anyone painted theirs, I know it can be done, any recommendations?
  15. D

Need good beige dashboard

'86 BII Eddie Bauer. Looking for a GOOD beige dashboard / dash pad whatever you guys call it. The whole dash - but I don't need the stuff in it - no vents, no gauges, none of the trim panels. Let me know what you have, thanks!