•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

who has already rebuilt an a4ld ?

Henri

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Hi guys , I am thinking of rebuilding my a4ld gearbox, has someone already done it and would have advice to give? A kit to recommend ? or is it better not to try. I will have with me an old tractor repair mechanician who is a very meticulous guy

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I went to a car show yesterday and a gent there had an 87' B2 chassis with a 40' Ford pickup body on it. It had a 5 speed manual when he got it and he said it was "difficult" to shift due to space constraints so he converted to an A4LD. He had a shop up north rebuild it and he said it works perfectly. I may just do that with mine next year. I don't like the way it shifts, too harsh.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Haven't done one myself. I had my local AAMCO rebuild mine in my 88 B2 about 3 years ago and they did all the updates and upgraded a lot of the common failure parts in it to hopefully give it a long life. Shifts are nice and firm like they should be. My B2 is stock except is had 235/75-R15 tires on it due to the lack of tire selection in the factory tire size, but it handles it just fine.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I was thinking about using AAMCO myself.....they recently replaced the transfer case on my Silverado 2500HD. Did you remove the trans and take it to them or let them do the whole deal? May I ask what they charged?

bronco joe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII Eddie Bauer
I had mine rebuilt by a local shop several years ago after it started delaying shifting and sometimes not shifting at all. Put me back about $2k but it's been working perfectly ever since. I didn't even want to begin to mess with rebuilding it myself.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I was thinking about using AAMCO myself.....they recently replaced the transfer case on my Silverado 2500HD. Did you remove the trans and take it to them or let them do the whole deal? May I ask what they charged?
I had my whole Bronco 2 over at AAMCO. They did all the work from start to finish. I don't have the patience to do mechanical work LOL. They charged me $2450 for the complete rebuild including new torque converter and new tranny cooler. This also was a slightly upgraded rebuild with heavier duty parts to supposedly keep the transmission from destroying itself again, but a lot had to do with the previous owner improperly towing it behind their RV.

I had a lot of work done to it on top of the transmission rebuild. I had the front brakes done, tie rod ends, front driveline u-joints, and rear driveshaft rebuild to get rid of those non-serviceable joints in it, so now it has u-joints.

They did a great job, they charged me for repairing the AC but that didn't work, I rebuilt the AC system myself a couple years ago. They put dye in the system so it was easy for me to figure out where the leaks were though LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I had mine rebuilt by a local shop several years ago after it started delaying shifting and sometimes not shifting at all. Put me back about $2k but it's been working perfectly ever since. I didn't even want to begin to mess with rebuilding it myself.
I would really be interested in pulling an old A4LD and pulling it apart and rebuilding it just to see how it all goes together but I have no patience for automotive mechanical work so I doubt I'd ever even try LOL.