•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 Bronco 2 tailgate handle

Oscar Hernandez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looking for a complete tailgate handle. Please let me know if you have one available. Thanks

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I "repaired" mine (89' B2) but I understand that with some minor mods a 1st Gen Explorer one will work.

Oscar Hernandez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Dear Duffy
Do You have some pics of before and after repairing yours?
I do not know what is missing with mine
Attached find some pics of mine
Regards
I "repaired" mine (89' B2) but I understand that with some minor mods a 1st Gen Explorer one will work.

Attachments

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I did not take any pictures.....sorry. Mine had hogged out the pot metal bracket and the shaft wobbled around. I simply took a piece of pipe of the right diameter and made a "bushing" so the shaft was tight again. Isn't perfect but it works.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I believe the only thing you need to do is drill out the center hole larger as the 1st gen explorer handle center piece is larger in diameter, and by the looks of it you'd have to slightly enlarge the 2 outside holes as well. I do have the 1st gen explorer handle if I ever need it, but was lucky and found a handle on an 89 Bronco 2 at the pick a part that I swear had never had the hatch opened, it went right into my Bronco 2 and feels like a brand new handle it works so easily. I keep watching for Bronco 2's with good handles and I will grab them when I find them as that seems to be a very popular problem with these 30+ year old RBV's, but I love my 88 Bronco 2, it may have its quirks but I love driving it, and its great out on the back roads. With a limited slip or locker in the back I think it would be a great backroads & light trail vehicle in stock form with just a limited slip or a locker.

gbosey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II EB
If/when you find one be sure and use it only to twist and unlatch but don't use it to lift the tailgate if you want it to last.

csgt428

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
I did not take any pictures.....sorry. Mine had hogged out the pot metal bracket and the shaft wobbled around. I simply took a piece of pipe of the right diameter and made a "bushing" so the shaft was tight again. Isn't perfect but it works.
I did the same .... worked like a charm. (86 BII) Used thick walled 3/4" id high pressure plastic water line. Cut off a piece around .564" and slid it over the shaft after filing off a little tit of metal coming off one of the two casting stops for the spring that returns the handle to center. Works like new! Anyone need a new exploder handle? I had already ordered it for a 97 before reading Duffy's fix.

Last edited: