•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 B2 head gasket?

Ricmsr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
So I have smoke coming from the headers fairly constantly. Not a lot of smoke. A bit out the tailpipe as well. It's not a huge cloud of smoke. Just noticeable visually. You can smell burnt oil. The oil is overfilled but I can't drain it because the oil plug is so tight on there. I tried everything.

You think it's just overfilled or a possible head gasket?

And any advice on getting the oil plug out?

Thanks

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Overfilled is not good. If you need to get some oil before fixing the drain plug, remove the oil filter and install a new one. There should be at least a quart in it. Fire it back up to fill new filter then shut it off and check oil level.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
When trying to get the plug off, us a closed end wrench or a socket. 6 point only. It gives more contact and will be less likely to round off the bolt. If it already been rounded off you can get sockets made for removing rounded hardware. Us the correct size tools for the hardware you are trying to remove.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I have to ask... how did the oil become over full? Did you add to much? These engine don't make oil. Stuck or leaky injectors can be way to rich and actually add to the oil volume. Prolonged use in this condition will wash out the rings and cause damage to cylinder walls... then we start to burn oil and smoke.

I've been meaning to buy one of the electric oil/fluid extraction pumps for doing gear oil changes on the Dana TTB and SLA front differentials. There are many brands out there but most won't work with gear oil... or gasoline. They would however work well with motor oil. I'm going to try to find one that will work with anything and probably just pay up a bit to have one.

I agree with @tw205 about just changing the filter... it should be close to a quart removed. Also with the six point socket. Another thing I've done is use a brass drift and a hammer and give the oil drain plug a bit of a whack. It just may be enough to shock it right out.

Ricmsr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
To answer a question on oil over filled. I bought it that way. It wasn't smoking when I was there for whatever reason.

Buuut. Turns out draining the oil via the oil filter remove, drain replace crank remove drain replace worked. Got out all the oil some of it sludgy. Replaced with new. Ran it for about 30 minutes. Some gradually went away til nothing. I found a spot that seemed to be the source of the smoke. Passenger side somewhere looked like the manifold. But jet sprayed that down. Ran the car for a while longer. No smoke.

Ricmsr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
And about the drain plug. It was round. I tried to file it down to six sides but still can't get it to budge. Might just have to drill it next time.

Ricmsr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
But thank you guys. It was very much appreciated. Sometimes you just need that little bit of direction because you're too close to the problem

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
But thank you guys. It was very much appreciated. Sometimes you just need that little bit of direction because you're too close to the problem
Good work! Check out those sockets I was talking about. I replaced a diff cover on my friends Chevy and half the bolts were so rusted and deformed I couldn’t get a wrench or socket to fit them. I bought a small inexpensive set of them and they worked perfect. Can’t believe I never had a set before.
image.jpg

Good luck with you rig. 😎