•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally Found One!

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I'd rather have a 2 door Bronco LOL...that 4 door thing ain't a Bronco, just a squared off version of an Explorer. Why is it automakers bring back vehicle names but they grow extra sets of doors.

The 4 door Bronco looks quite a bit wider than a 1st Gen...or rather any version of an actual compact Ranger from 1983-2011. Looks to be about a foot shorter than the Ranger parked next to it in a 4 door configuration, bet the 2 door is more a long the lines of the original Bronco size from the 60's except probably wider.
Actually it's similarity to the Explorer of old is what drew us to it. Body on frame, solid rear axle longitudinal powertrain. Much more appealing than the awkward minivan the Explorer has devolved into. A 2dr is worthless for us as a family car, not interested.

And if you note the spare on the Bronco (where they measure the official oal to) is about even with the rear bumper on the ranger (where Ford measured its oal to)

Basically the same wheelbase and oal as a std cab longbed Ranger but a little wider which is a non issue, a little more elbow room than a first Gen won't hurt anybody.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Actually it's similarity to the Explorer of old is what drew us to it. Body on frame, solid rear axle longitudinal powertrain. Much more appealing than the awkward minivan the Explorer has devolved into. A 2dr is worthless for us as a family car, not interested.

And if you note the spare on the Bronco (where they measure the official oal to) is about even with the rear bumper on the ranger (where Ford measured its oal to)

Basically the same wheelbase and oal as a std cab longbed Ranger but a little wider which is a non issue, a little more elbow room than a first Gen won't hurt anybody.
I'd rather have a 2 door "BRONCO", not an Explorer rebadged as a Bronco...the Explorer/Bronco were never based on each other, the Bronco was an F150 based truck...the Explorer/Ranger shared parts after the Bronco 2 was gone.

Yeah a family needs a 4 door, but I have an Explorer if I want to haul people...the back seat in my Bronco 2 could be non-existent for all I care its ridiculous trying to get back there, unlike the new 2 door Bronco where rear seat access is easier...but still plenty of 4 door crossovers out there and SUVs to choose from rather than turning a Bronco into yet another soccer mom mini-van. Not a fan...they should have offered the 2 door in the same length as the 4 door maybe they'll offer something like that in the future, but for myself the 2 door makes far more sense, and I can haul people in the Explorer far more comfortably on long trips than the 4 door Bronco which can seat 5 which I think 4 seems/looks far more practical given the size of today's people....the Explorer can seat 7, but 6 is more appropriate unless they're smaller sized adults or children....

If I got a 4 Door Bronco the rear seats would be removed, and an extended floor built for utility purposes rather than seating space...would make a good camp rig in that configuration, probably long enough to sleep in the back of unlike the 2 door...hmm...now ya got me rethinking my 2 door purchase...the 4 door might be a good idea, still a base model for me though. I'll leave all that excess weight off the vehicle that the offroad stuff adds. A good set of tires and an aftermarket rear locker will be plenty for my needs...that 4 door seems like a better plan now thinking more about it...thanks...although I'll keep my Explorer for long trips and for hauling people. I bet I could build something in the back of the 4 door Bronco for an expedition type setup.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I'd rather have a 2 door "BRONCO", not an Explorer rebadged as a Bronco...the Explorer/Bronco were never based on each other, the Bronco was an F150 based truck...the Explorer/Ranger shared parts after the Bronco 2 was gone.

Yeah a family needs a 4 door, but I have an Explorer if I want to haul people...the back seat in my Bronco 2 could be non-existent for all I care its ridiculous trying to get back there, unlike the new 2 door Bronco where rear seat access is easier...but still plenty of 4 door crossovers out there and SUVs to choose from rather than turning a Bronco into yet another soccer mom mini-van. Not a fan...they should have offered the 2 door in the same length as the 4 door maybe they'll offer something like that in the future, but for myself the 2 door makes far more sense, and I can haul people in the Explorer far more comfortably on long trips than the 4 door Bronco which can seat 5 which I think 4 seems/looks far more practical given the size of today's people....the Explorer can seat 7, but 6 is more appropriate unless they're smaller sized adults or children....

If I got a 4 Door Bronco the rear seats would be removed, and an extended floor built for utility purposes rather than seating space...would make a good camp rig in that configuration, probably long enough to sleep in the back of unlike the 2 door...hmm...now ya got me rethinking my 2 door purchase...the 4 door might be a good idea, still a base model for me though. I'll leave all that excess weight off the vehicle that the offroad stuff adds. A good set of tires and an aftermarket rear locker will be plenty for my needs...that 4 door seems like a better plan now thinking more about it...thanks...although I'll keep my Explorer for long trips and for hauling people. I bet I could build something in the back of the 4 door Bronco for an expedition type setup.
We already have a 4dr AWD Edge and quite frankly I am sick of dragging out of the snow because they (most modern suv's) are all built for suburbanites. Explorer is no better, just more to drag.

They haven't built an Explorer in over 20 years I would care to own.

Our long distance trips involve offroading.

And yes, you could get the Explorer trim package on old Broncos.

If not Bronco it would have been a 4dr Wrangler or a 4Runner. I would prefer the 4runner between the three personally.

Go Google a Land Cruiser Troop Carrier... then be sad because you basically can't get one in the US. Like the best utility/expedition suv in the world.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Dang JerryC... even your oldie is shining like new money.

Now all ya need to do is get yourself a first gen to round out the line up.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Dang JerryC... even your oldie is shining like new money.

Now all ya need to do is get yourself a first gen to round out the line up.
Thanks!
I had a Gen one back in the 80's it was tons of fun. I wheeled it a lot.

My BII looks good from a distance, just don't look too close at the paint. The previous owner had it painted at one of those drive through paint places.
This is the best pic I have. It's from few years ago.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
We already have a 4dr AWD Edge and quite frankly I am sick of dragging out of the snow because they (most modern suv's) are all built for suburbanites. Explorer is no better, just more to drag.

They haven't built an Explorer in over 20 years I would care to own.

Our long distance trips involve offroading.

And yes, you could get the Explorer trim package on old Broncos.

If not Bronco it would have been a 4dr Wrangler or a 4Runner. I would prefer the 4runner between the three personally.

Go Google a Land Cruiser Troop Carrier... then be sad because you basically can't get one in the US. Like the best utility/expedition suv in the world.
HAHA, that's kind of what I wonder about with my 2008 Explorer...would it make it through the 2 feet of snow that we had a couple years ago....I'd be driving my Bronco 2 I'm sure, it made it in and out of my driveway just fine when we had all that snow....not sure if the Explorer would do it or not, ground clearance becomes the biggest issue.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd