•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

13 MPG Ouch!!!

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
I have asked this question somewhere on this site before but could never find where I had done so lol. So I never saw any replies. My 84 Bronco ll has never given me better then 13mpg. The heads have been removed and cleaned out and shaved and new head gaskets fitted. New plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor and air cleaner all done. I need to get this thing running far more efficiently as I am moving to New Zealand and taking this Bronco with me and gas is over $8 a gallon there!! Please help me if you can.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
If you don't have to pass emissions, you should duraspark it.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The only things that I can think of are gears or a very badly running engine.
Does it have factory smog - meaning the computer?

You may want to look into the cost of shipping a vehicle to NZ and compare that to the price of a vehicle down there.

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My 4.0 B2 gets 13mpg just driving around. It gets 20mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 65. Under what conditions are you getting 13? My diesel Passat gets 42 in the summer just driving around. Don't they have lots of diesels down there?

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Mine gets 10mpg before and after all the mods that I have done i.e. the SAS, tires, etc.... I get maybe 15 or so mpg highway driving her.

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
13 mpg

The only things that I can think of are gears or a very badly running engine.
Does it have factory smog - meaning the computer?

You may want to look into the cost of shipping a vehicle to NZ and compare that to the price of a vehicle down there.
The engine runs very smoothly and yes it does have a computer and has passed the smog test here in CA. I have no way of knowing what the gear ratios are but it does not seem to rev too highly when driving. I have read somewhere that other B2's get in the high twenties with the 2.8 motor so I presumed mine was a rare breed. Other replies to my post seem to indicate that it is not. BTW I drive at the speed limit on the highways, in fact well below them for most of the time I have owned this thing due to bad shocks which caused the vehicle to rock extremely badly with the risk of rolling over. I recently fitted four new shocks and it it drives fine now. I am flat broke so have no money to purchase something else to take back to NZ with me, and I have to get a container to ship my stuff back so the cost of putting a vehicle in that container is zero. Sure, there may be a small difference between a 20ft and a 40 ft container but that difference does not give me hope that I will buy a vehicle of comparable worth to this B2, so I am pretty well stuck with it. I would only get a few hundred dollars if I sold it and it owes me a whole lot more than that. Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your willingness to offer advice. IS there a post here that tells me how to duraspark it?

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
If you don't have to pass emissions, you should duraspark it.
I will never have to pass emissions if I ship it so that is not a problem. I have read lots about durasparking these donks but have no clue what that is or how to do it. If it does not cost a lot maybe that would be a great thing to do. Have you heard what difference that makes to a 2.8 in fuel economy?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm a bit baffled. I get about 19 to 20 on my Ranger with California smog. It isn't gearing if it doesn't over-rev.
Maybe a slipping auto trans? Gas leak? That's all I can think of.

As for shipping it in a container, check to see the law on that. I know you have to prove ownership of any vehicle shipped from the U.S - I don't have any idea about laws on the other end.

I don't think a DuraSpark would help on the mileage, it does make it easier to fix and keep running. Maybe other will have specifics.

Good luck

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
I'm a bit baffled. I get about 19 to 20 on my Ranger with California smog. It isn't gearing if it doesn't over-rev.
Maybe a slipping auto trans? Gas leak? That's all I can think of.

As for shipping it in a container, check to see the law on that. I know you have to prove ownership of any vehicle shipped from the U.S - I don't have any idea about laws on the other end.

I don't think a DuraSpark would help on the mileage, it does make it easier to fix and keep running. Maybe other will have specifics.

Good luck
Thank you. I have shipped a 1969 Cougar XR7 convertible before and I am aware of all the laws. I wish they would let me ship my Focus but the regulations prevent that so I have to sell that and use the money to pay for shipping and air fares. We are moving back before this nation implodes totally! Only worked for three months since Jan. 09 and no unemployment benefits 'cause I was self employed prior to that. Mine is a 5 spd manual and there are no fuel leaks. Have never smelt gas either which is usually a tell tale if there is a leak. Thanks for your thoughts re duraspark.

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
My 4.0 B2 gets 13mpg just driving around. It gets 20mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 65. Under what conditions are you getting 13? My diesel Passat gets 42 in the summer just driving around. Don't they have lots of diesels down there?
Yes they do have lots of diesels in NZ. They also have many cars on natural gas. If I could afford it I would buy a 'special interest vehicle' like a Lincoln Mk 8 as in the collector edition and convert that to gas when I got there. After 4 years I could sell that [have to keep those for 4 years] and probably get $40,000 to $50,000 for it. Oh well. I can dream only. Used to be that you could only import something more than 20 years old and leave it left hand drive but the laws have changed and special muscle cars, collector type vehicles that were not imported to NZ can be taken now, of later vintage and kept in left hand drive. My driving the B2 is a mixture of freeway and surface streets, always at the speed limit.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sort of off topic, but I just came across this:
"the 8,500-lb. Excursion ... Capable of just 14-16 miles per gallon in city driving,"
Wow! - I hope your math is off with 13mpg.
Anyway, if you find out what the deal is, please let us know, even if from NZ.

Last edited:

miniloaf38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Duraspark II
I get 13-15mpg from my 2.8 and it only has about 30k miles, and it's durasparked. But I have a holley 350, which is a little big, and It's not tuned. But yeah duraspark actually decreased my gas mileage.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I get around 17 hwy with mine sparked and a 2150 with #46 jets but it will pull a pass at 70 now. I put the 15 inch B-II aluminum wheels and a smaller speedo gear in the tranny.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
dude.....put a diesel in it before you leave unless your only driving 10 k a year or something. in that case of under 10 k a year get a 4.0....

in my situation my truck weighs nearly 2 k more then stock, stops better, goes better and gets better mpg on 37 in tires then stock 2.9 could dream of on 31's

if you really only get 13-14 then a 5.0 is something to consider as well....at least it will have some power.

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
dude.....put a diesel in it before you leave unless your only driving 10 k a year or something. in that case of under 10 k a year get a 4.0....

in my situation my truck weighs nearly 2 k more then stock, stops better, goes better and gets better mpg on 37 in tires then stock 2.9 could dream of on 31's

if you really only get 13-14 then a 5.0 is something to consider as well....at least it will have some power.
I actually have a 351M in an old F150 4X4 which has only done 2000 miles since it was fitted as a re-manufactured long block. If I had the money I would have that put in the B2. I know that would give me a better gas mileage and heaps of power.

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll

Okay I am open to that suggestion because diesel costs considerably less than gas in NZ. What would you suggest I look for in the way of a diesel motor that would fit into my Bronco? Anybody know of a Bronco ll converted to diesel?

I just found out that we have enough miles on our mileage plus account to fly to NZ free so I may be able to afford to do such a swap.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There are many options to this. They can go from "cheap" to all out expensive. One thing to consider, make sure that you can keep her 4wd. There was a time (still could happen) that I was going to put a diesel into mine. I was considering the detroit 353, just because I love the sound of them.

kiwi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ll
There are many options to this. They can go from "cheap" to all out expensive. One thing to consider, make sure that you can keep her 4wd. There was a time (still could happen) that I was going to put a diesel into mine. I was considering the detroit 353, just because I love the sound of them.
I was thinking of a four cylinder turbo diesel that may fit to my tranny. My tranny is a Mazda I believe, or could it be Mitsubishi? Not sure off the top of my head. I am looking for some more power but mostly better fuel economy in NZ where diesel costs less than petrol [gas]. Any definitive thoughts on that? Thank you for your reply but it did not give me a lot of help lol.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You ghave the Toyo Koygo tranny and if its a 5 speed then its a TK5. None of the diesels that were made for the RBV's at the time will bolt to our tranny unless you get a bellhouse (dont take my word on that) from one to bolt to our tranny but then again our tranny cant handle that much torque either. And also finding one of the diesels made in an RBV is very hard to find. The perkins 2.2 is N/A and the Mitsubishi 2.3 is turboed (and I think still made today).

85beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
BBF 460
find a 1g ford ranger with the 2.3 NA diesel 4x4. yes they exist ive seen a couple. and do a swap into the b2. just a suggestion.