•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 2.8l Hesitates/bogs when started out in 1st

cwsartain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I bought an 84 in really good condition about a month ago. It seems to get up and go pretty good but sometimes if i don't give it a ton of gas when starting out in 1st, it'll want to stall out. Also while driving it, even after its warmed up, if you're just driving normal and then punch it, its like it hesitates/bogs before it starts accelerating.

I've already replaced the following within the last month:
  • Spark plugs
  • Plug wires
  • Fuel filter
  • Choke pull off valve
  • Carb accelerator pump
  • Checked vent lines and all look good. Replaced 2 of them

Its similar to small motors i've worked on in the past, when the fuel mixture screws aren't set just right. However it idles just fine.

What should I check next? Also I haven't found much helpful information yet on how to adjust the carb on this thing. Where are those fuel/air mixture screws?

Thanks in advance!
Clay

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Hi Clay,

You might not come back around since this is 2 months old, but I can try to help.

Are you still running the 2150A feedback carb with the TFI ignition? The stock setup up.

Look on rangerstation under the fuel section and there is a rebuild guide for the 2150 2 barrel carb.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
@ford4wd08 thanks for bringing this back to the top. I meant to come back to this and just never made it back.

Welcome to the Bronco Corral @cwsartain

Many of the early 80's carbs were feedback types. I'm not sure any manufacturer ever got them right and everything quickly moved to fuel injection. I remember making a lot of money doing drivability back in those days... EVERYTHING ran like shit! They would be lined up every morning....

Lots of folks prefer to de-computerize these with a non feedback 2150 and even converting to Dura-Spark ignition. Others seem to just keep playing with the existing until they can live with it. I think @tw205 has been around the block with these also... he may have something to offer.

Here is the link to the rebuild info mentioned above...

Microsoft Word - Autolite 2100 Carburetor Rebuild2.doc (therangerstation.com)

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
@ford4wd08 thanks for bringing this back to the top. I meant to come back to this and just never made it back.

Welcome to the Bronco Corral @cwsartain

Many of the early 80's carbs were feedback types. I'm not sure any manufacturer ever got them right and everything quickly moved to fuel injection. I remember making a lot of money doing drivability back in those days... EVERYTHING ran like shit! They would be lined up every morning....

Lots of folks prefer to de-computerize these with a non feedback 2150 and even converting to Dura-Spark ignition. Others seem to just keep playing with the existing until they can live with it. I think @tw205 has been around the block with these also... he may have something to offer.

Here is the link to the rebuild info mentioned above...

Microsoft Word - Autolite 2100 Carburetor Rebuild2.doc (therangerstation.com)
I would check if accelerator pump is giving a good squirt in both sides. When I did my duraspark I used the 2150 carb. Got it from rock auto. I think it’s past it’s service life but I’m makin it work. Idols fine and I’m pulling 17lbs of vacuum but hesitated/stalled if I accelerate even slightly hard from a stop. I found my accelerator pump was only squirting one side. I pulled the top off and removed the ports. Carb cleaner, a small pick and air cleaned it out. Runs great now. I can mash it from a stop and she rips. I have a slight vac leak at the shaft on passenger side of carb but the 17 lbs was acceptable. The 2150 needs a different mount gasket than the feed back style carb. Get one for a pinto or mustang when you get the carb.