•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 B2 - Parking Brake Components

MReeves

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hello! I am new to this group and I want to say thank you. Thank you for this great space to talk to other Bronco lovers and ask questions.

I am going to be replacing the emergency/parking brake on 86 B2. I have already purchased the front, left and right brake cables for my whip. The mechanic that will be working on this, asked i find all the parts

Does anyone know exactly what parts i should order, on top of the cables I already purchased? I cannot find a components list online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I recently did mine and only needed the new cables. There is a bracket that ties them together but aside from it rusting into dust it should be reusable and I don’t think the bracket is available any longer. One last piece would be the return spring which hooks on said bracket and an eye on the bottom side of the floor. Should also be re usable but if not any good mechanic should be able to find one that would work. I was able to re use without issue. The swap out on new parts is fairly easy but can be time consuming as you have to disassemble the rear brakes to make the swap. I found it easier to take the pedal assemble out to replace the cable but I’m old and not as flexible as I use to be. It can be done in place. Over all it’s an easy few hours and a properly functioning E brake is a must. Good luck.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
There are also several components inside the drums...

Park brake lever... wavy washer and horseshoe clip to hold lever to the shoe. Also a park brake strut and anti rattle spring.

If those parts are still in the drums... chances are they can be reused.

Depending on your cable set up.... there could also be an equalizer that pulls the cable equally. These usually require some sort of return spring. I would go to Rock Auto and pull up a diagram... this should tell you how the cables hook up and what parts you will need.

FredDoug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Alright so I’ve got the cables I think but the bracket is missing, anyone have any ideas where I can get a new one? Search a junkyard? Am I missing anything else?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Well it appears you have the equalizer (bracket... as you call it).

It appears as if one of your rear cables have been cut. So you would need at least one new rear cable and the cable connector that ties the rear cables to the front control cable.

I'll try to post a picture of mine a bit later today.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Here is a pic of the set. You look to be missing the coupler. Mind you mine is not adjusted yet. All my brake components are new and I have yet to adjust the parking brake. Your cable that extends to the coupler is broken.

Edit: a junk yard visit may score a find for you. If not I think I can find one off a parts truck
44E62B2F-8448-4430-8F06-E701FD1C446C.jpeg

FredDoug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Okay thanks for the info guys, I bought the front cable from rock auto thinking I needed that but once I compared it looks like that cable is fine and it looks like you're right Uncle Gump, one of the rear cables is broken. The cable I bought did come with a little bracket to connect two ends of the cables it looks like. It doesn't look like tw205s coupler, I'll send a picture later today of it and next time I visit the junkyard I'll have to check for one.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I replaced all of my PB cables on my 85. I cussed the front cable pretty good. I ended up taking the bolts out that holds the foot lever to the kick panel area. Took a while to get it back on even though it should have been a straight forward procedure.

FredDoug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I ended up finding the cable connector at a local junkyard and bought the new lines, wish me luck putting it together one of these weekends. Let me know if you have any advice too. Thanks