•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 B2 wiring harness swap

JB1986B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I've been learning a ton from you guys over the past few years - since my son and I picked up this '86 B2 4wd manual. It wasn't running, and we've put a lot of TLC into her since then. ($$)
The current issue is she isn't running well. After the 3rd mechanic (including a seasoned Ford tech who started his own shop recently), it was running well enough to limp home about 10 miles, but the recommendation was to swap the wiring harness. There were a number of blown fusible links, exposed wiring, etc. We found a good donor ('86 B2 4WD automatic) and swapped the harness. All connectors top-side lined up, but the T-case is a bit different. I'm wondering which wires from the automatic/electronic transfer case can be abandoned, and which need to be fitted. (Different connector types)

Donor wiring harness:
two-wire connector (orange & red wire)

T-Case:
two-wire connector (both green)

Donor wiring harness:
5-wire connector (yellow/red, red/blue, purple/orange, black/white, red/white)

T-case:
(Black connector near shifter linkage)

I'm tempted to splice/connect the orange & red wires with the "both green" pair, but I'm thinking that's not a "match".
Perhaps the orange & red wires actually belong in that black connector near the shifter linkage?

These two diagrams seem to get me close to figuring it out, but I'm not quite making the connection. (no pun intended)

Any clue y'all can offer me?

Attachments