•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 Bronco ll 2.9L V6 (4WD).

C. Brinegar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
There are 3 wires attached to the starter cable side relay. I need a wiring diagram or an experienced person that can show or tell me where they go. 2 are colored blue and 1 is orange. New to the forum, thank you for your input. 1986 Bronco ll, 2.9L V6 4WD, standard transmission.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Those should all be fusible links.

They supply battery positive voltage to various places and are hot at all times.

Fuse panel
Ignition switch
Alternator
Headlamp switch

I'm not near my EVTM at the moment... I can post a picture later of the schematic.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd

C. Brinegar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
Those should all be fusible links.

They supply battery positive voltage to various places and are hot at all times.

Fuse panel
Ignition switch
Alternator
Headlamp switch

I'm not near my EVTM at the moment... I can post a picture later of the schematic.

C. Brinegar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
Thank you Uncle Grump for a more definitive wiring diagram. Maybe you can help me with the impending problem. Bronco was running fine until I changed the Positive battery cable along with a new battery. Of course, I pulled off all the wires from the starter relay (mainly the three on the cable to starter side of the relay) the new cable attached to the other side of the relay by itself. When all was cleaned and tightened, I put the negative cable on the negative post, but had a zap of electricity between the two. I jerked it off within about 5 seconds, but noticed a puff of smoke from the starter relay area. I isolated an orange wire, and put the other two back on. I tried to start the car, but got nothing when I turned the ignition switch. I then tried the headlight switch. No lights, no power to inside car. So I am thinking the orange wire has to be power needed to start and make the lights work. I did check all 3 of the fusible link wires for continuity, and they checked OK. I am also thinking that I blew something some where else in the circuits. Ignition switch? Main question: why is the one orange wire not going back where it was originally, without seeming to be a direct short? Sorry for the story book, but I had to expose all of my ignorance about electrical circuits. Thanks for any light on the subject.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
The three wires you mention go on the same side of the relay as the positive battery cable. The other side of the relay only has the single cable to the starter.

C. Brinegar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
The three wires you mention go on the same side of the relay as the positive battery cable. The other side of the relay only has the single cable to the starter.
Thanks Uncle Grump. those 3 wires were hooked on the starter cable side since I bought the car. With your info and looking at pictorial offerings, I will change sides and see what develops.

C. Brinegar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ll
Same thing happens. Changed three wires to positive side of starter relay. Got a Zap between negative post and and negative cable. Took the Orange wire (which branches into a red wire and a black wire with a light blue stripe) off. They go into the taped bundle that goes towards the firewall. Battery hooked up, still no power anywhere. If you have any other suggestions, or a possible cause, I am still unable to comprehend what has actually happened so such a simple process that I followed. Thank you for your suggestions and wiring diagram. I am at a total loss with my own electrical knowledge. Within the next week I will probably have the car hauled to a good auto shop that I have previously used.