•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 Bronco 2 engine swap

MultiMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 and 1989
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Hello, new to this and am glad to find a place where people who have these great Fords can get advise. I have a 86 that I restored and hopefully will get pics up soon. But I also have a 89 I want to make my real off roader. The 89 Bronco 2 is a 5 speed standard with a 2.9. I can get a 97 Ford ranger 4x4 automatic that has been wrecked. The 4.0 is good. I see from this forum I can get the 97 4.0 to fit into a 89 Bronco 2? I realize I'll need the wiring from the 97.
I was told that I needed the dash swap as well? Is it possible to use the automatic from the ranger and rear end? should I keep the 5 speed? Is not the automatic better for off road? I plan a lift and to make the 89 into an overlander. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
You can use the whole drive train from the 97. The front axle (d-35) and rear axle (8.8") are upgrades. The engine, trans, and transfer case can be used. The computer from the 97 should be used if you use the auto trans, if you use the manual you will get a check engine light. The manual if its a M5od is a good trans. The earlier manuals won't last behind a 4.0l. I believe its much easier to do the dash swap but have never done it myself. You may want to grab the fuel pump from the 97 and retro-fit it into the b2 tank. That gets rid of the low pressure in tank pump and the high pressure frame rail pump.

MultiMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 and 1989
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Ron,
Thanks for replying to my question. Glad to know that I can use everything off the 97 ranger. I figured the rear end and front axle might not be up to the hard off road I was planning with a 4.0. Thanks for the info on the 5 speed as well. I'm not sure what 5 speed is in the 89? It took me 13 months to get the 86 B2 completely overhauled. Rebuilt the motor 2.9. and had the transmission rebuilt. Interior was already perfect, (that's why I bought it) Then had custom paint etc.
This may take just as long

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Dang... that little Bronco is a Gem...

MultiMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 and 1989
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks. I did everything but take it off the frame.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Bronco 2 looks great, but why on earth would you want to take it offroad and beat the crap out of it. I'd go find one that looks like shit to take offroad before I'd take the one you currently have offroad....a huge waste of painting it just to bash the hell out of it.

You already rebuilt the engine/transmission, why would you swap them? You don't need a 4L to go offroading.

Not understanding the reason behind swapping a used engine/transmission from a wreck into a vehicle that's got a rebuilt engine/transmission currently in it...kind of illogical IMO to waste time swapping stuff that's already working and in better condition than what you want to swap into it.

MultiMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 and 1989
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Bronco 2 looks great, but why on earth would you want to take it offroad and beat the crap out of it. I'd go find one that looks like shit to take offroad before I'd take the one you currently have offroad....a huge waste of painting it just to bash the hell out of it.

You already rebuilt the engine/transmission, why would you swap them? You don't need a 4L to go offroading.

Not understanding the reason behind swapping a used engine/transmission from a wreck into a vehicle that's got a rebuilt engine/transmission currently in it...kind of illogical IMO to waste time swapping stuff that's already working and in better condition than what you want to swap into it.
Thanks for reading the swap. I noted that this was the 86 I restored and have not intentions for taking off road. I noted I had a 89 that I picked up for 2K with a bad motor. This is the one I plan on making an over-lander.
The confusion comes from a previous thread. I was just sending a pick of the 86 to the guy who responded on the 89.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
You can park your BII in my driveway forever for free if you want.

Nice truck!

MultiMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 and 1989
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Thank you. After 14 months getting this B2 done. I'll need to stare at it in my driveway for a while.
Thanks,