•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 Bronco II Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement...

Andy1416

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L v6
Suspension Style
4wd
Hey everyone:

Does anyone know the procedure to replace the instrument cluster bulbs on a 89 Bronco II? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I'll watch this one......I've got couple that also need changed.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
I know it's been a while, but I've had the cluster out of my 89 a half dozen times or so (don't ask, I'm weird). It's not too bad of a job, the speedo cable is the worst part.

1. First pull out the ashtray/cigarette lighter thing (just under a/c controls) and you'll see a tab at the top, push on it and pull out the entire assembly. You might have to remove the two trays that are in it before you can get at the tab. Disconnect the electrical connector for the cig lighter. At the bottom of the mounting hole for the tray you'll see two small screws (either 5/16" or 1/4" iirc... Maybe 3/8" I can't remember).
  2. Once you get those two screws out, the entire front bezel (goes from the ashtray up and around the steering wheel/cluster and down the left side of the wheel) will need to be popped out. Those annoying interior clip things are holding it in. Just go all the around the outside edges of the bezel pulling to pop the clips loose. It'll probably feel like you're gonna break something (and if you do it isn't my fault lol).
  3. After it's popped out, the 4x4 controls (if applicable) will be holding it from coming all the way out. Look on the backside and you'll see two little push tab deals that let it pop out. Oh yeah, if you have rear window defrost/whatever other controls on the left side of the steering wheel there will probably be wires you have to disconnect on that. To actually get the bezel out you'll have to move your shifter (if it's auto column shift) to the lower most position (put some wheel chocks down so you don't roll away), and tilt the steering wheel down all the way. Even after that you'll have to finesse it out, just take your time and it's alright to contort the bezel slightly, just don't bend the piss out of it.
  4. Now that you have the bezel out of the way you can see the entire gauge cluster. There's about 4 (or 5 or 6) little screws around the outer edge of the cluster that go through tabs to hold it. Can't remember what size they are but they're pretty small (maybe the same 5/16", 1/4", or 3/8" from before). Don't get the mounting screws mixed up with the front clear plastic cover screws. I did that once, but there was a dead ladybug in the cluster that always bothered me so it gave me a chance to get it out. Edit: I forgot one thing. If you have an auto, the gear indicator is also mounted to the cluster. IIRC it's two screws holding it in or it might just be two little nubs, either way it comes off and you can let it sit there.
  5. Now that you have the mounting tabs undone you're gonna have to turn into a contortionist with hands the size of a toddler's and fingers the lengths of Edward Scissorhand's. Basically you have to reach all the way to the back of the cluster to get to the speedometer cable. Google "89 bronco ii speedometer cable" and look at images to see what I'm taking about, but there's a little press down tab deal you have to push on so you can pull the cable loose. Might be easier to reach from underneath the dash up past the steering column and other stuff. After that you should have just enough slack to pull out the cluster a bit to get to the two connectors for all the electricity or whatever. If not, return to your toddler handed scissorhand's lengthed fingers form and get those too.
  6. After those three things are disconnected you can pull the cluster right out. On the back you'll have a circuit board (don't mess around with this, they're fragile). You'll also see all the bulbs that go in there. To pull one out you grab and twist it (can't remember which way, left loosy?), then it pulls right out.

Last edited: