•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 2.9 bronco2 intermittant start

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Random starting issue. One day starts fine then without any reason I can see it won't start. Sounds like no spark when starting. 4 days no start then starts fine and runs for 3 days then won't start again. Random had to be towed home from work twice! So I asked many people what they thought, I got just as many ideas as people. Bought a Ford code reader and a multi meter. Haven't had a chance to use them yet. Any suggestions or ideas about this problem? This is my only transportation. Help!

freddie2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
hi, have you use your ford code reader and multimeter? have you look the battery cable? battery is it good?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Does it crank over?
Does it have spark, fuel? Check that when it wont start.

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Battery just died after randomly trying to start it no spark. Thinking it's the coil am going to pull one at an auto recycling yard. And maybe that will do it. It's easy and cheap. It's my only transportation, just need it running for now. Haven't replaced that part yet........

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Did you try fully charging the battery? I'm not sure but I would not be surprised if you need a certain battery voltage to get spark.

freddie2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
yes, try just to change battery!

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Am doing that right now will see how that does tomorrow. Thank you I'm learning more with each part I replace and this wrenching is way harder than I ever knew!

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Not the ignition coil. Ignition module. Any advice? Yikes

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Where are you checking for spark?

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Was going to use my Ford code reader cab get the cover off EEC test spot. Don't want to break it. Don't want to randomly replace did that already. Haven't had a chance to check spark plugs or distributed yet due to location of distributer. I'm a sorta short difficult to get to for me. Thought that the coil would do it, nope wasn't the problem. Very open to suggestions and advice. Need to get it fixed soon cause it's snowing hard.

Meshell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Fuel pump? Also when I drive it, it smells like fresh gas. That is when it would start!