•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 4.0swap?

90B2Loud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1990 B2 2wdwith a manual ttans I was wondering I found a 1990 ranger with a 4.0 2wd manual trans would the engine be a direct swap? What all would I need

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Good question. Most of those I hear putting 4.0L into B2 were doing so using newer explorer 4.0L and often doing a dash swap too cause that makes it easier.

I never came across a "the easiest 4L swap into a BII is just to pull from a ranger" sort of comment. Perhaps some know here, but if not folks on TRS will have input.

The one issue I know may be a problem will be the type of trans you have and the drive line.

I believe some of the 90 B2 had the M5OD trans but what was more common was the FM146 trans. I do not believe the FM146 is strong enough for the 4.0L. I also don't think the stock CV joint drive shaft is good for the 4.0L as well. I heard some 90 model year BII had U-joint drive shafts.

I believe there were heavier axles/differential too although I don't recall off the top of my head the details. Again I think some 90 model year had the heavier duty ones.

BroncoIIPower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
Clothing optional
89-90 are the easiest for the 4.0 swap. They already have the Explorer dash. I spliced my wires but on the second generation Bronco II's you can just take out the entire engine harness and put the 4.0 harness in. Connects at the white bulkhead on the driver side firewall.

Also, a 4.0 is a 4.0 is a 4.0. The differences are in the years. I used a 93 motor with 94 accessories. Had to change some pulley brackets but it worked. Good luck!