•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.3L SWAP broncoll

deathstar182

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Okay before you say I haven't searched it I have for like 2 days.

K so I just aquired a 1985 broncoll it has the 2.8L and the clutch in it has gone to crap, I would like to drop a 2.3L in it (economy reasons) and keep the 4WD (for fun reasons)

from what I've read it eather has the 145 or 144 FM tranny in it, it is a manual 5 speed. I would like to know if I can grab a 4 banger engine and bellhousing and swap it onto my tranny.

I have also heard the 2.3L has the same bellhousing pattern as a 5.0L I was wondering if I bought a 5.0L conversion plate for my bellhousing if it would bolt into that and be good to go (after motor mounts and towers of course)

I could really go for some answers guys, thanks for checking out my thread

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have read it is almost impossible to put a 2.3 in a Bronco II because of differences in how the engine mounts attach to the vehicle. Something about the engine mounts for the V6 attaching to the frame rails and the mounts for the 4-cyl attaching to the engine cross member, with the BII not being equipped with those mounting points.

And the 2.3 definitely does not share a bolt pattern with the 5.0. You could however take a 2.3 bell housing and bolt it to your trans to make a 2.3 work with the tranny.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
sometimes the left mount is hard to get, i have seen the factory offerings, even the diesel now.

use the 4cyl mounts, and of course a 4 cyl trans, wire it and fire it.

the b2 k member i have seen and worked with were all identical to the 4x4 ranger on top except for a few holes. i dont remember there being a mount difference for a 4cyl 2wd to 4wd, but i cant see why 4cyl 4x4 mounts wont work. the hole differences if they actually had anything to do with the mounts are rectified with a drill.

can you imagine if the 4 cyl actually shared the bell with a 5.0? :shok: it would be a different world.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I haven't seen it myself, I just vaguely remember seeing AllanD post on the topic before. I haven't had time to go searching for the post today, I just remember him saying that the 2.3T swap in a BII was almost impossible because of some mounting issue related to the engine. I thought it involved the K-member, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
ahhhh.

for that maybe a factory configuration is some sort of issue.

i am not a big fan of most of the factory configurations anyway....their compromises and my goals often require different results.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Change the clutch, as much as I love the 2.3's, it will NOT get better mileage with the 2.3 over the 2.8-9. They are rated factory at almost the same mileage.

If you are dead set on dropping in a 2.3, they used a 2.3 in them at one time in 2wd versions. So motor mounts are available, but the trans mount might be an issue. Nit to mention driveshafts..

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 2.8 is a good little engine, give it a complete tune up, and you should get very close if not the same gas mileage as the 2.3 (been there, done that)!

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
Hah, check out DopieSLC's build thread - he's installing the dtech 2.3 out of my Ranger into his '90 B-II currently. He's keeping the 4x4 as well (M5OD Trans by the way). byhttp://www.broncoiicorral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1456931#post1456931

Nothing is impossible...

NEALD

Reaction score
Anything concrete on this swap yet? Looking to do this swap as well. I know dieselboy did this swap a few years ago. I posted in his old thread with no response. The big question is really what's needed to get the engine in mounted(custom mounts? Off the shelf mounts?)