•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.8 tear down

TenSeven

Reaction score
Tear down on an 85 2.8 that after being cleaned up initially ran well then started to get hot and blew the radiator up. After radiator fix there is now coolant from both exhausts during cranking over.

Before tear down two tests were done. Compression and the 'Glove Test', you guys are probably already familiar with (where a rubber glove is secured over the radiator fill and the radiator overflow is plugged. Then you check to see if the glove is inflating while cranking over the engine. Each plugged can be pulled to see which cylinder is leaking into the cooling system.)

Cylinder
#1- 125lbs
#2- 98lbs, positive Glove Test
#3- 120lbs
#4- 60lbs, positive Glove Test
#5- 95lbs, positive Glove Test
#6- 120lbs

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/EighteensTen7/library/Head Gasket

Looks as though there's been a breech of the head gasket between cylinders 1&2 and 4&5.

Question, are the markings on the Pistons factory stock or are they aftermarket?

Thanks

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I don't know about the piston marking. The concern that immediately comes to mind after such an overheat is what conditions the heads are since they are known to crack.

TenSeven

Reaction score
I don't know about the piston marking. The concern that immediately comes to mind after such an overheat is what conditions the heads are since they are known to crack.
Thanks. I've heard these heads are prone to cracking (2.9's even more so). Visually there are no obvious cracks but I'll need to have them Magnufluxed to be sure.

Shame seeing it leaking coolant out the exhaust's after having run so well.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I agree, very sad to see. If you dont' get an answer here try TRS as that is more active and most BII issues are true for Rangers as well.

It was unclear to me if this happened after doing a rebuild and so you had to tear down again or if this just happened after getting it running after a long time. I guess it probably was the latter.

TenSeven

Reaction score
I agree, very sad to see. If you dont' get an answer here try TRS as that is more active and most BII issues are true for Rangers as well.

It was unclear to me if this happened after doing a rebuild and so you had to tear down again or if this just happened after getting it running after a long time. I guess it probably was the latter.
Ya, the latter, first time getting it running after buying it and changing a few gaskets. I'll get the heads cleaned up and checked.

Thanks