•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 exhuast questions

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ok i can't seem to find a clear cut answer. but being that i want to have 2.5in exhaust with stock manifolds, do i just need a short expansion pipe to go from stock size to the 2.5? and if so where should i place it? just in front of the muffler? or as far forward as i can easily?

going without any cats, and single exit, in front of the passenger tire, magnaflow muffler, not sure what length or oval or round yet.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
If your really taking off the cats people will tell you to keep them and so will I, but hey it's your vehicle. Where the cats come off the y-pipe weld on a piece of 2.5 piping from there and weld on the muffler and another piece of 2.5 piping and have it exit to the front of the rear tire.
there is no emissions here so i can get away with it. but why (outta curiosity) do you say keep the cat on?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
hmm interesting.

thanks for the thoughts.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
right now mine is stock with a straight pipe after the cat. and i love the sound. just a bit loud for my neighborhood. plus i'm pretty sure my cat is plugged up

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
mine is cat plus cherry bomb turbo
but im gettin it cut later.
but its like 120 bucks

danger92ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i also have a 2.9. straight piped after the cat and exits out the side, stock manifolds. i want mine to be louder so i am also wanting true duals. so my questions are what size piping should i use to keep some back pressure, power, and mpgs and will i burn my valves by removing the cat and doing true duals straight piped with stock manifolds?

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble and expense of putting a set of duals on a 2.9.

It's a complete waste of time and money, and will probably run worse than stock.

Put your time and money into something that will improve your truck, instead of making you sound like a jackass, and giving the rest of us a bad name.

Just my humble opinion...

Last edited:

danger92ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
why? because we arent lazy unlike some people.
i got time on my hands and most of my new pipe is free and in good condition so i got you beat there. and if you wanna talk improvements, since i put a spectre air cone and straight piped my truck, ive gotten 23mpg on the highway versus 20mpg with a stock intake and stock RESTRICTIVE exhaust. im not lookin for your opinion, im lookin for answers/tips/help and a louder higher flowing exhaust. thanks

MagnaV30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Spdcrazy, I have the setup your planning existing on my 2.9, except mine is flowmaster.
Cat Delete, 2.5" to flowmaster super 40, 2.5" single side exit.

Sounds, IMO as well as many others to be glorious, in fact my favorite quote is, "It sounds like Hitler and Satans carpool vehicle, as it prowls the streets for victims chewing on the concrete it travels on"

As for stinking, No. But then again, I grew up around diesel and gas engines, so it smells really good to me.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'm struggling with what to do on my 2.9's exhaust right now as well. it's a pain in the ass. in NC i have to have a cat and muffler as per state inspections, but i dont have to have it pass emmissions cause it's old as ****.

i'm trying to mate the stock y-pipe to an aftermarket highflow cat i found on a website with a 2.5" ID opening. probably just gonna weld metal onto it until it's closed up lol.

i've just now realized that i havent given any input on ur situation spdcrazy, so here goes. if you want 2.5 inch piping, i think you should take it from the y-pipe and go back with it. you can easily find a muffler with 2.5 openings. an auto parts store will have all sorts of adapters that are different sizes.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
got the exhaust done about a month ago! 2.5 in after the y, and ran it to a magnaflow, dumped before the rear axle. sounds great, no more headaches while traveling to my wheeling destination!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ah, i didnt notice ur post was from late january, would you mind posting some pics if possible?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ah, i didnt notice ur post was from late january, would you mind posting some pics if possible?

ya no problem, i'll take some today for ya! i wish they guy would have let me tell him how i wanted it ran because it could have been done better, but hey, its not competing on the salt flats, just a beater 4x4

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ok here is my setup. could be better, but thats what i get for paying someone to do it! if only i had a welder

in this picture you can see where the muffler is located, notice the leaf spring and body mount.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
sweet thanks for the pics man, i know exactly what i'm gonna do now

i bought a shitty harbor freight welder about a month back for $100 (on sale), it's a mig and it'll do 1/8" plate, works perfect for exhaust. meineke wanted over $400 to redo my exhaust from the y-pipe back, i'm doin it myslef for a little over $200 and $100 of that was the welder.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
no problem man! make sure to take some pictures when your done with it!!!

ak.walker_ii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Super Cab
I removed the cat on my Bronco II 2.9L and went with dual exhaust through 2 turbo mufflers. It sounded and ran great. Real deep rumble when you stomped it and I noticed a good bit more power across the band. My 1990 Ranger cat clogged and probably contributed to the blowing of my head gasket. The Bronco had 2.5 inch pipe installed from the manifolds back but I would stay closer to stock size to avoid the chance of burning the exhaust valves. I drove it for nearly 200K miles like that without a problem until I rolled it.

Oranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Mitsu 4d55t
I made duals for my 2.9, I built a flange to match the Y and took 2" pipe back to a set of blue bottles then out behind the pass wheel. I also port matched the intake, heads and exhaust and made a cold air intake from some 3" exhaust pipe.It has over 300k and still runs great. No idea what the mileage is, its really loud ,but you can feel the power gain.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
^
how about some pics?