•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 lifter tick

90B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I just installed a rebuilt 2.9 in my 90 B2. It got new rings, rod bearings, mains, seals, rebuilt heads, new lifters and pushrods. It fired right off and runs nice and smooth but it has a lifter tick that constantly comes and goes. I picked up a stethoscope to listen to the tick and I believe it is the #5 exhaust or one close to it. Looking to see if anyone has had an issue like this with new lifters. It's not a valve adjustment issue.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
LOL, there are tons of lifter tick questions related to the 2.9l engines. Its normal, nothing you can really do to fix it. Can't remember where I seen it now but someone mentioned the lifters are in fact adjustable contrary to what has been said over the years, but for the life of me I cannot find that thread and the instructions :(.

My 88 B2's lifter noise is pretty bad, and some has to do with lack of oil as well.

90B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
It took me a bit to figure out what was going on. And it's something I wouldn't normally check when assembling an engine. Turns out that the pushrods I got with the engine are aftermarket and the diameter is waaaay bigger than the stock ones. It wound up that the intake pushrod was actually hanging up on the cylinder head. That was causing the ticking (loose rocker adjustment type of tick). As soon as I changed out the pushrod for a factory piece....no more noise.