•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2000 4.0 swap

gregorious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Alright, so I have an '89 Bronco II 2.9l with 235/75r15 tires, which really bog it down, and I'd like some more power. My friend recently rolled his 2000 explorer and is willing to sell it for me $300. The roof is trashed, but everything under is fine. I've heard of people putting 4.0s in BII's, but never this new of a motor. How hard would it be with this year of motor? I am willing to put as much time and effort as it takes. I also want to pull the coils and leafs off of it, as mine are shot and a little lift would be nice. How much work am I looking at? Is there anything else I should rob off of it? Thanks guys

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
you need a gen 2 dash.

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd say the motor alone is probably worth the $300, the swap however is not the easiest (wiring is completely different and you have PATS to deal with) and the suspension is completely different- the rear leafs "might" work, but the fronts- nope. 1991-94 would be easier and you can buy them for $4-600 all day from www.iaai.com or www.copart.com. Just my $.02

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
You can swap the engine using a early Ranger 4.0 OHV (old engine) wiring harness. However, you're going to have interference with the engine hitting the heater blower box. One guy has suggested maybe using a body lift to resolve that problem but I don't believe anyone has actually tried it yet.

This is the guy who used a newer SOHC 4.0 with the older engine harness (Project El Taco).

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258&highlight=el+taco

Last edited: