•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

23 Gallon Fuel Tank Sending Unit Location Question

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
I took my 1989 B2 in for CA Smog, and it failed. This both Surprised Me, and Pissed me Off at the Same time. My Engine is a fresh 2.9 Long Block with only 4k miles on it, and always Passes CA Smog Easy. The guy tells me I have an emission problem, probably caused by a Vacuum leak.
He says I need to take it to an approved smog place that does smoke testing. I said who testing? LOL
I have been working on all things mechanical since I was a little fry, and never heard of such a thing. SO, after going to 3 shops I found one. They did the test and found my gas Tank Fill Hose had a quarter sized hole in it. I ask them if they could replace it and they said yes, but need to drop the tank. I said how long, they said 2 day stay so they can find hose. 2 weeks later, they say we found it and it is on the way ??????? Week 3 they say ready for pick up. I get there, pay 450 bucks, and leave. When I get to the smog test place, it passes, and the guy asked me about the nuts and bolts and brackets on the drivers side floor. I can See that they are the fuel tank holding brackets. I take it back and they say, "WELL NO ONES PERFECT"> Right?? and chuckle. I was not happy. I then drive to gas station, and notice my fuel guage reading empty, (had 1/2 a tank when I dropped it off). I then proceed to fill tank with Gas, and station nozzle kept clicking off.
IT TOOK ME 10 MINUETS to fill tank. SO, by this time I'm seeing RED and go home to cool off.
I decide to NOT TAKE IT Back to Shop for fear they will (F***) something else up.

SO, to Sum it Up, I paid to have the work done because im getting to old to be crawling around under my B2, and i had the money to pay. What i got was a half assed job, A bad Sending Unit Connection, and a Restricted gas tank fill hose, that takes me forever to add gas to the tank, to the tune of 450 hard earned dollars/ !!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION: Has anyone here cut a fuel tank sending unit access hole in their B2, that has a 23 Gallon Tank? If Yes, can You Give me the dimensions to the sending unit CENTER so I can cut a clean access hole?

Thanks Very Much, and May God Bless the New Crop of so called Automotive Mechanics! NOT !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I made an opening in my 89' when I needed to change the pump/sending unit. It's not too difficult but you need to measure carefully to get the location right. The panel I cut was 6x6.....I hinged it and put a backing plate around it so that it seals back up. Took about 2 hours total time (that included changing the pump/sending unit). Sorry, I never remember to take pictures.

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
I made an opening in my 89' when I needed to change the pump/sending unit. It's not too difficult but you need to measure carefully to get the location right. The panel I cut was 6x6.....I hinged it and put a backing plate around it so that it seals back up. Took about 2 hours total time (that included changing the pump/sending unit). Sorry, I never remember to take pictures.
Thanks for reply duffy. I plan to do the same, can you give me dimensions from side to side, and from lift hatch gasket to center of sending unit/pump assembly? Tank is still in, and I'm cutting blind from inside B2 floor board down and thru.

Thanks

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
20220801_110140.jpg

20220801_114307.jpg

20220801_114849.jpg

I didn't record measurement either. But the rear cut line is just in front of the bump out for the tank vent valve.

You can see the clearance with tank installed below.

20220809_133833.jpg

If you don't pull the tank to cut your access panel... there isn't but 3/4 inch clearance to work with on the rear. .

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
Nice Clean Job, with the clip nuts. I can work with the 3 ribs for the side to side, and will maybe have to take my educated guess for the rear to front dimension.

Thanks

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I can go out and measure the access hole later today.

I know for the rear cut... if you look directly in front of the drill handle in picture 2... you will see the bump out for the fuel tank vent. The front of that bump marks where the cut.

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
I can go out and measure the access hole later today.

I know for the rear cut... if you look directly in front of the drill handle in picture 2... you will see the bump out for the fuel tank vent. The front of that bump marks where the cut.
Thanks, I Appreciate it ~~

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I took my 1989 B2 in for CA Smog, and it failed. This both Surprised Me, and Pissed me Off at the Same time. My Engine is a fresh 2.9 Long Block with only 4k miles on it, and always Passes CA Smog Easy. The guy tells me I have an emission problem, probably caused by a Vacuum leak.
He says I need to take it to an approved smog place that does smoke testing. I said who testing? LOL
I have been working on all things mechanical since I was a little fry, and never heard of such a thing. SO, after going to 3 shops I found one. They did the test and found my gas Tank Fill Hose had a quarter sized hole in it. I ask them if they could replace it and they said yes, but need to drop the tank. I said how long, they said 2 day stay so they can find hose. 2 weeks later, they say we found it and it is on the way ??????? Week 3 they say ready for pick up. I get there, pay 450 bucks, and leave. When I get to the smog test place, it passes, and the guy asked me about the nuts and bolts and brackets on the drivers side floor. I can See that they are the fuel tank holding brackets. I take it back and they say, "WELL NO ONES PERFECT"> Right?? and chuckle. I was not happy. I then drive to gas station, and notice my fuel guage reading empty, (had 1/2 a tank when I dropped it off). I then proceed to fill tank with Gas, and station nozzle kept clicking off.
IT TOOK ME 10 MINUETS to fill tank. SO, by this time I'm seeing RED and go home to cool off.
I decide to NOT TAKE IT Back to Shop for fear they will (F***) something else up.

SO, to Sum it Up, I paid to have the work done because im getting to old to be crawling around under my B2, and i had the money to pay. What i got was a half assed job, A bad Sending Unit Connection, and a Restricted gas tank fill hose, that takes me forever to add gas to the tank, to the tune of 450 hard earned dollars/ !!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION: Has anyone here cut a fuel tank sending unit access hole in their B2, that has a 23 Gallon Tank? If Yes, can You Give me the dimensions to the sending unit CENTER so I can cut a clean access hole?

Thanks Very Much, and May God Bless the New Crop of so called Automotive Mechanics! NOT !!!!!!!!!
I know some fellers on here have done that. I’m fixin to install a new unit on one of my BIIs and will be making the access panel for future endeavors, knowing I’ll most likely only find made in China garbage having a propensity for out of box failure or a life cycle of a single trip the the Walmart. I only wanna drop the tank once. I’ll watch to see if anyone has the measurements or share mine if you haven’t got the answer.
Good luck fren. 👍

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
I know some fellers on here have done that. I’m fixin to install a new unit on one of my BIIs and will be making the access panel for future endeavors, knowing I’ll most likely only find made in China garbage having a propensity for out of box failure or a life cycle of a single trip the the Walmart. I only wanna drop the tank once. I’ll watch to see if anyone has the measurements or share mine if you haven’t got the answer.
Good luck fren. 👍
Copy That ! If i find out before you i will post it here, and Plus 2 on the China Crap Comment !!

Take Care,

Wayne

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Front to rear: 8 3/4 inch

Side to side: 11 inch