•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

289 Swap to what transmission?

Danturner733

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hello all! This is my first post and it’s kind of a engine/trans question all in one.

I have an automatic 1990 XLT b2 I’m rebuilding. Came with no engine making a swap a little bit easier. I’m currently rebuilding the 289 and have a few questions.

In y’alls opinion, what’s going to be the best transmission option? I have the A4LD underneath now, but from everything I’m reading it isn’t good for use other than 4cyl or 6cyl engines. Is a 4RE44 or 5Re55 going to be my better options?
Second, what kind of engine mounts did some of you V8 swaps guys use? Does my transfer case need to be swapped for use with the 289?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the most used trans behind a SMF V8 is a combination of C3, 4 and 5 parts. Ends up being a 3 speed but I wouldn't think that would be a problem....at least not for me.

Danturner733

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Not exactly following you Duffy. You mean parts from each of those transmission to make an A4LD work behind it or just kind of a monster mashup between those 3 to make it work?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Yeah, I did a bit of reading a while back, the bell housing and the tail housing off a C5 is put on a C3 main body and then a C4 valve body is used to get the pressures needed to stand up to the V8, there was also something about using different "bands/clutches"......I don't believe the E44 or E55 will work with the transfer case without extensive modification. With enough dollars thrown at it you can probably put a SBC with a TH350 and a NP205 in there. Somewheres you have to ask yourself is it "worth" it?

Danturner733

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Good points, thanks for the info Duffy

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The 289 had a C4 behind it in some vehicles, that might be something to look into. It should be a direct bolt up. Regardless that A4LD isn't going to be worth the trouble trying to bolt in, those things can't hardly take the power of the V6 engines it was behind, so toss that thing away now and look into a C4, I think a C6 was also an option that may bolt up too.

How's the 289 V8 fit in the engine bay? Pretty tight like the 302?

Danturner733

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The engine isn’t even close to going into the bay yet, but the 289 was pretty much the same block as the 302. I’m sure it’ll be tight.
As a side note, I found this on the ranger station.

pretty much everything I’ll need to know if anyone else is interested as well. I’m sure it’s been posted on here somewhere.

thanks for the replies fellas