•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 Block Heater

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Before I drop this 4.0 OHV into my B2, I want to put in a freeze plug type block heater. I've never done it before. Is there a preferred method?

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, not really any preferred method, just the obvious.

Make sure it is in a "core hole"(real term for expansion hole, lol) that is easy to get to if there is a leak or rust out issue in the future.
Make sure 110vAC wire has enough slack to move with engine and will not get burned by exhaust pipe.
Route 110vAC wire out thru rad support hole and attach near grill so hood doesn't need to be opened to connect to power, steel will cut thru wire over time so make sure anywhere is passes thru a hole it is protected against chaffing.

You can get covers for male 110vAC plugs so it remains clean and dry when not plugged in.
Example here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-28405-Volt-Cord-Cover/dp/B000I8YPX2

Last edited:

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Kats heaters should come with instructions that tell you where to install the heater and which way to clock the element. Not sure if it matters, but they want you to put it in a specific hole. I think it should also have torque spec to tighten. They just use like a butterfly clamp to hold in place, so it's easy to over-tighten if you're not careful. OEM is always the easiest way to go because they have clear instructions on installation and routing, and they usually have all the clips, covers to prevent chaffing etc already included. Also, the cord is usually able to be replaced separately if needed.

Last edited:

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Instead of block heaters I now just put on oil pad heaters. I figure warm oil is better then warm coolant, and heat rises so it will get to the rest of your engine as well. Works great and cheap and super easy to install.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
i had an oil pan heater short out on an old chevy 350 and ZOT! melted a tiny hole in the oil pan, and all my warm oil ran out onto the ground.

Didn't discover it, as it was like -47 out, I dashed out, started the truck, and it ran on high idle with no oil for like half an hour.

When I went out, it was making all sorts of thrashing noises. Engine was toast. I had to swap it.

Won't be using an oil pan heater ever again.

Now I use block heaters exclusively and switch to 0W30 oil in the winter.

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What about the inline heaters? I've seen the ones that go in the lower radiator hose. Of course, I'd be putting it just below the water pump, so the hot coolant doesn't just go to the radiator. Are those kind worth the price?

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What about the inline heaters? I've seen the ones that go in the lower radiator hose. Of course, I'd be putting it just below the water pump, so the hot coolant doesn't just go to the radiator. Are those kind worth the price?
Same result as block heater in core hole, easier to install in most cases.

Obviously convection is what transfers the heat to other parts of the engine.

But heating up rad hose coolant, even a little, would, IMO, be a little wasteful power wise.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
i had an oil pan heater short out on an old chevy 350 and ZOT! melted a tiny hole in the oil pan, and all my warm oil ran out onto the ground.

Didn't discover it, as it was like -47 out, I dashed out, started the truck, and it ran on high idle with no oil for like half an hour.

When I went out, it was making all sorts of thrashing noises. Engine was toast. I had to swap it.

Won't be using an oil pan heater ever again.

Now I use block heaters exclusively and switch to 0W30 oil in the winter.
You must have had one strong pad to melt through the metal. Especially if it was -47 out. :shok: I actually stick with the lower wattage ones. :icon_thumby:

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mercedes
I'm a fan of lower radiator heaters, they're easy to install and replace. Had one on my old diesel.