•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 swap options: Carb, TFI-Dist, Alt ECU

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys, so I've not seen any 4.0 swap threads that explain what to do after swapping a Ranger harness then correcting the brake light/power window issues. *Please link a thread if there is a full write up*
Anyway, that issue has lead me to investigate alternative methods of doing the 4.0 swap. These are my findings. Please share your input if you know of anyone else that has experience with these.
First, I found out that there is a carb intake for the 4.0L as well as some other goodies.
http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=32

Next, it seems that the fact that Morana Racing offers a carb intake plus this other guy confirmed that the 2.9L distributor will swap; this leaves a third option open. ---Link to guy confirming the 2.9L distributor will interchange (third post).
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16444

Third, Is this speed density computer. It says it supports TFI and EDIS. That means no wiring harness swap if you can get the distributor to work. I guess the sky is the limit.
http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have questions about all that then.

1) Why in the world would you want a carb when all the stuff is there for EFI?

2) Why dink around with a distributor when you don't have to?

3) What advantage do you think there is to S/D over MAF?

Basically you are asking about putting the crappiest control systems available on an engine that came factory setup with better stuff. Why? Are you looking for simplicity in the wiring of the swap, or is there something else to this?

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
As I said in the first paragraph, I can't seem to locate a full write up on the 4.0L swap that explains how to resolve the brake light, power window, ect. issues. Plus, I can't afford down time with out a ride. For some one with little resources such as available work space, available parts or what not I think it makes pretty good sense.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the post. I was simply enlightening others to these options.
My intentions are to use a distributor without having to hack up my wiring or swap wiring for that matter. I think this can be accomplished by using the Stinger Computer. Not only do I believe it to be a quicker method but I could upgrade to a turbo in desired or I could always swap back to a 2.9 in a moments notice.

Last edited:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
As I said in the first paragraph, I can't seem to locate a full write up on the 4.0L swap that explains how to resolve the brake light, power window, ect. issues. Plus, I can't afford down time with out a ride. For some one with little resources such as available work space, available parts or what not I think it makes pretty good sense.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the post. I was simply enlightening others to these options.
My intentions are to use a distributor without having to hack up my wiring or swap wiring for that matter. I think this can be accomplished by using the Stinger Computer. Not only do I believe it to be a quicker method but I could upgrade to a turbo in desired or I could always swap back to a 2.9 in a moments notice.
For some reason, every swap is different. My swap was from a 94 ranger. Didn't have a way to hook up power windows,so I installed manual windows. My fan motor doesn't work properly, but I can live with that. Every case is different. Sounds like a lot of extra work for little reward switching to a carb

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I'm not interested in a carb. I've just read some older build threads that were awesome but the guy ended up using his 2.8 for some reason. I just figured he didn't really have much choice. That plus the fact that while searching to see if the distributor would swap out I noticed several inquires about carbs. Thats why I included it in the topic.
I appreciate you explaining why no one ever says anything about the brakes ect...

EDIT: I think I should add a bit more info for those who are reading this thread. Hopefully someone will reply with some hard facts. All threads I've looked at so far have been sort of vague when it comes to the fitment of the 2.9 distributor in the 4.0 block. The big question thus far is will it clear the intake system. If not, then by how much ? From what I can tell by looking at pictures is the rotor cap may contact the mounting surface of the upper intake. However, it appears to me that the one rear stud could be chopped off to make it work. If anyone has a motor on a stand and wants to help resolve this issue that would be ultra cool.

Last edited:

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Any threads involving a 2.8 might not be much good to you, thats entirely diff than the 2.9 efi system... I would think.

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I just got off the phone with Tom Morana, let me tell you is one hell of a nice guy. He kept on talking all sorts of technical stuff that swept me away. He said that the 4.0 runner needs to be cut back and plumbed into a different port. Hes supposed to send me some pictures (fingers crossed), but he assured me its obtainable with a little grinding & welding. He continued to tell me that there are some guys modifiying the cam position sensor to work with carbed applications and so on. He continued to speak about products he is working on which include a efi distributor intake system and a new super charger. By the sound of things hes got a lot of projects in the works but can only do so much within time restraints. So anyway, thats whats happening until further notice.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Quite frankly I am surprised that there is even a 4.0 carb intake out there at all. It just makes no sense. The only application I can see would be certain race classes require carburetors, but if you're modifying a 4.0 that much, it seems like you'd get bumped into a modified class or something, where a V8 swap would be allowed. Waste of time.

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
Quite frankly I am surprised that there is even a 4.0 carb intake out there at all. It just makes no sense. The only application I can see would be certain race classes require carburetors, but if you're modifying a 4.0 that much, it seems like you'd get bumped into a modified class or something, where a V8 swap would be allowed. Waste of time.
From what I've read some Pre-runners (desert trucks) use carbs because when your in the desert and things go bad its a easy fix. Also, while I was searching I seen some guys talking about transplanting 4.0s in euro cars. Who knows what other applications there are.

EDIT: I have pics from Morana Racing of a cut out lower intake for the distributor but the files will not up load. It keeps saying up load failed.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
When I did the 4.0 swap into the 86, I used a 94 Ranger harness and dash, rewired the taillights so the reverse socket was used for the turn signal and threw in amber bulbs.

The right way to do it would be to use a trailer light adaptor for the Ranger harness that has diodes to convert back to the two bulb system.

I ditched all the silly options like power windows, rear wiper, rear defrost, A/C, push button 4x4..etc.

The 94 dash and column required some fab work, just pretty basic brackets and a few holes.

Tapped power for the high pressure fuel pump off the stock Ranger pump wire. Also had to use the Ranger sending unit for the fuel gauge.

Swapped the battery to the driver side and built a box for the ECU on the driver side as well. If I were to do it all again...I would use a pre 95 Explorer harness so the battery and ECU could stay in their stock location as well has have harness for the defrost/rear wiper.

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I honestly do not know what you are asking. I just did the swap not long ago. 92 Ranger 4.0 with no power accessories to my full power 90 BII. All I needed was the engine wiring and kept my wires to all my BII power windows, doors, lights the same- no need to remove them.

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I honestly do not know what you are asking. I just did the swap not long ago. 92 Ranger 4.0 with no power accessories to my full power 90 BII. All I needed was the engine wiring and kept my wires to all my BII power windows, doors, lights the same- no need to remove them.
Are you saying that you didn't experience any electrical issues after the swap ?
It seems a lot of people who swap just the engine harness have ran into brake light and power window power loss. If you didn't then maybe the 92 Ranger harness is a better choice. Most people mention the '90 Ranger or a Explorer harness.