•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 swapped BII's transmission smacks floorpan under power.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Just like the title says the transmission is smacking the floorpan under power. We swapped the 4.0 out from a 92 ranger with an m50d and an electric transfer case. When the m50d was installed we reused the former fm145's crossmember. COuld this have the transmission too high in the trans tunnel? We also happened to re-use the original 2.8 motor mounts on the 4.0 for a drop in fit. Could they be stretching enough from the added power of the 4.0, and allowing the motor/trans assembly catch the floorpan? When i get home from school, I will get a measurement for the distance between the transmission yoke, and floorpan.

Link to his thread.
Confirming my thoughts
Pic of bronc for reference.

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Just a thought, but are you sure your rear driveshaft is the correct length? I just did a 4.0 swap, driveshaft was long, when it bottomed out hard under load or on a bump strange noises came from my truck :shok:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well the stuff you did on your swap sounds like what I did on my swap, and I don't have that problem, so I think we can rule out the trans cross member. Your mounts could be badly worn, but I think they would be torn at this point if they allow that much movement.

What did you do for a drive shaft? The M5OD is longer than the FM145.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
My father and i had shortened the u-joint style driveshaft from the FM145, so it is possible that it could be too long yet. What would be a good replacement shaft? Just to add, i had found it's not the transmission, it is the driveshaft yoke catching.

Last edited:

efilnicufecin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Use an FM146 rear driveshaft
FM146 transmission is the same length as the M5OD