•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 swapped into a bronco 2

Fallintosleep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Putting a 4.0 out of a 93 explorer and putting it into my bronco 2 that has a 2.9. What difficulties will I be facing

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Putting a 4.0 out of a 93 explorer and putting it into my bronco 2 that has a 2.9. What difficulties will I be facing
this is like the 3 or 4th time this has come up in the last week. you might want to check the tech library or even the search option.
There is a butt load of valuable information on the subject if you use those resources.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am half way through the process. Did part of it last summer and completing it in June. Check with the tech library but here are the main issue. 1)If manual trans you will really want to change the transmission to the M5OD which is stronger. Holes are in the frame but you will need to grind out the rivets and bolt the cross member into the new holes Not sure about the auto trans. 2) the drive shaft will need to be replaced again if you change the trans 3) You will need to interface the fuel lines. I need to make an adapter to link the spring lock coupling connectors. 4) wiring is not difficult buy you will need to interface the body harness with the 4.oL engine harness. I suggest you get the vac/electrical manuals for both vehicles. Of course Use 4.OL engine control module. 5) Use Explorer radiator. I am installing a electric cooling fan, 6) 4.OL Air induction tubes/air filter will need to be installed. I haven't gotten there yet. All I can think of right now.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The biggest obstacle that you are likely to face is that engines are heavy. That is a very severe issue. It makes them hard to pick up and put in cars.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am half way through the process. Did part of it last summer and completing it in June. Check with the tech library but here are the main issue. 1)If manual trans you will really want to change the transmission to the M5OD which is stronger. Holes are in the frame but you will need to grind out the rivets and bolt the cross member into the new holes Not sure about the auto trans.
He has a 90. It is likely that he already has an M5OD, just the 2.9's version which is the same thing, but with lower gears.

You will need EVERY piece of wire from the donor's engine bay. For some inexplicable reason Ford decided is was a good idea to make the headlight and ignition sub-harnesses one piece.:annoyed:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
300 six
I just did this with my 89 ranger people were kind enough to help me if you have questions message me and Ill help if I can.You will be very happy with the results!:)

wood75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just did this with my 89 ranger people were kind enough to help me if you have questions message me and Ill help if I can.You will be very happy with the results!:)
Hey I have a question about fuel pump plugs.
Using a 92 explorer to a 86 b2
The harness going to the pumps is all that i have left and the plugs are different, any suggestions?