•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4x4 spindle wear

old timer 1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 85 87 89
Vehicle
ford
How much wear is allowable on the spindles where the bearing collars ride? I was taught that if you can catch a finger nail on them that's to much. Thoughts? Thank you

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I think the fingernail test is probably a pretty fair assessment. It's the way I've done it my entire life... well that and a visual inspection. There may be some tolerance in the number but it certainly wouldn't be much. I can't say I've ever seen a spec for that but one could exist.

old timer 1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 85 87 89
Vehicle
ford
I looked in my factory manual I have hoping for some specs but couldn't find any. I have a pretty good set of slide calipers so I measured the id of the bearing and the od of the spindle and came up with .006 difference. Would that be enough to hold that collar and not let it spin?
Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
While they do have a bit of clearance... I just am unsure of that number.

Are both spindles worn? Maybe check the best location you have on either of your spindles and see where that leaves you.

Ten years ago we would just have bought a spindle and been done with it. Parts are just getting harder to find.

I did a quick search and found that Timken recommends on bearings up to 3 inches should have .0002 - .0012. If this is correct you are way over maximum.

Maybe try digging in a bit more... like I said it was a quick search.

old timer 1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 85 87 89
Vehicle
ford
I found out that the diameter of the spindle is 1.624 from the threads to the step for the seal. The ID of the bearing collar is 1.625. I remeasured mine and they're a little smaller than spec and I can't seem to find any spindles so I'm going to get some new bearings and put it back together and hope for the best.