•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

5.0 in Bronco II

leseman1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I found a 5.0 from an 88 Full size Bronco for cheap. I'm going to look at it on Saturday hopefully its as good as the seller says it is.:yahoo: If all works out this engine will go into my 86 B2 within a couple months. I want to run a five speed (m5r2) out of an f150. Advance adapters has an adapter to use the stock transfer case behind this tranny. Will it allow me to use my drive shafts without modifications? If not would it be better just to go with an np205 and get custom drive shafts made? I just want to know for sure before I start getting parts together.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Use the 205, stronger and much cheaper. You will need a different intake, the F series intakes are too tall to fit in a ranger...

SVT

leseman1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok i will probably just go with the 205. I will most likely do a 2" body lift. Do you know if it will clear the intake with it?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Even with a 3" bl I have yet to hear anyone that has successfully done a ranger V8 swap using the truck intake...

SVT

leseman1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok maybe i will get an intake off of a mustang or explorer for it. Thanks man.

94BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
351w lightning efi
so gt40 intake is out out the question.?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
well, i have used those adapters and they definitely move the t case back which helped and worked out in a few cases due to the trans selection...t18 with a short ext housing. or maybe its a reg ext housing and the others are the long ones. not sure on that. with a m5od r2 it will move the case back a few inches.

the aod unit actually breaks out to the right spot. you can use the aod unit with a 4r70 as well just need a sleeve to go over the governor holes.

Use the 205, stronger and much cheaper. You will need a different intake, the F series intakes are too tall to fit in a ranger...

SVT

i rarely disagree with svt, but if your not in need of a doubler and a twin stick i would never suggest a 205 t case. its strongest of the reg t cases, but not always cheaper....prices are fairly regional though for obvious reasons.

its heavy and can be a bitch to deal with...its low range sux.

the 208 or 4406 manual t case are much better imo. light and easier to manuver in low range.

so gt40 intake is out out the question.?

the truck 351 intake? the iron lower sucks but is usable for sure.

a regular gt40 is fine.

the regular cobra is a bit tall but works under non lifted hoods as well.

in my truck the 302 will fit under the hood with modded linkage on the tb with a 3 in body lift whis was really a 3.5 because of the washers.. routing the intake hoses is a joke though. i would modify a gm f tb and use it if i wanted some super flow killer torque combo setup....but for the work and tune one of the chinese setups would be the best for costs and ease of use over a truck intake.

all around an explorer intake seems the best deal.

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
:icon_confused:

Dude the thread is almost a year old, you'd have been better off (a) starting a new thread, (b) posting in your already existing thread, or (c) searching and reading some more. C would have been the best answer because this topic has been covered many times.

Now what about this thread gives you the idea that the GT40 intake will not work?

What SVT is saying will not work is the intake for the truck motor. The GT40 is much more like a car intake, it fits a lot better. Had a nice reply typed up, but Bobby said it much better/simpler than I did so instead I'll leave you with this picture.

Mustang intake w/spacer --------------------------------------------------- 5.8L Truck intake

I borrowed this picture from bcbroncos.com. All credit goes to them and if you click on the picture it'll take you back to their page.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Bobby, as far as price, I was referring to the cost of a 205 compared to the price of an adapter to run the RBV case. 205's are somewhat easy to find around me right now, as I have two of them on hand in my vault of valuable parts. It is a heavy b!$&@h, and ratio could be better, but I like it for its strength and size. And to be honest, anyone using a 205 isn't concerned about the gearing (or lack of) it has, since they most likely have the power in front if it.
That being said, like bobby stated, the 208 or 4406 would be a lighter option. The 4407 would be a better choice than the 4406 due to the 07 having a fixed output, the 06 has a slip output. A 1356 from a full-size bronco can also be used, but with it being wide, you either need to move the trans mount to the passenger side about an inch, or possibly notch the frame for it to fit.
Any car intake will work, and is what is mostly used (mustang, mark 7, GT40, etc) though I would stay away from the crown vics and Lincoln's, as they are not high flow intakes...

SVT

leseman1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well i seen this thread was kind of revived. I ended up going with a 4bbl Carter AFB on an edelbrock performer intake manifold so no issues with hood clearance. I had originally planned on using the np208 and went to put it in and it was to wide. I didnt want to cut up my frame so i used a 205 i got from a junkyard. It fits like its supposed to be there. Very very heavy though, i definatly dont want to ever take it back out.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Any car intake will work, and is what is mostly used (mustang, mark 7, GT40, etc) though I would stay away from the crown vics and Lincoln's, as they are not high flow intakes...

SVT
By the Explorer/GT40/Cobra intake standards, the Mustang and Mark VII intakes are not exactly high flow either. May as well get a decent intake right from the get go IMO.

I wish I had factory intake flow numbers, but here are the flow figures for the Explorer/GT40/Cobra intakes.