•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 BII with 96 Explorer 5.0

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
In a few weeks I will be starting my V8 swap on my 84 BII.

I have a 5.0 from a 96 Explorer that I parted out with most of engine related components I thought I would need when I originally intended on putting this in my 90 Ranger, which I'm now parting out due to too many project vehicles, not enough time or space (or money, for that matter).

I've also amassed most of the parts needed to put the V8 into my Ranger and most of the parts will still be used to put it into the BII:
M5OD-R2 from circa 90 F150 with
new slave, clutch and flywheel for 90 F150
Mustang Convertible engine mounts
plugs, wires, gasket set for the 5.0
New fuel pump for my 90 Ranger (doesn't cross reference to any year of BII, so this probably won't get used)
Explorer radiator
I will try to use my existing electric fan in the BII
8.8 from Explorer will find it's way under the BII, as well as the Dana 35 from the Ranger (this way the gears will match, 3.73s)
Other parts collected as well, just can't remember all of them off hand.

My original intent was to swap the Explorer V8 into my Ranger with the Explorer ECU so I can keep the DIS, and use as many existing parts as possible to keep the costs down, which ironically would require me to purchase a tuner to disable the rear O2 sensors and the tranny functionality of the computer, but this would allow me for future expansion if I ever decided I needed more power.

So, basically, I want to just use the BII as the swap platform instead of the Ranger and purchase as few extra parts as possible. I want to put an Explorer 5.0 with factory electronics into a carbed 84 BII (probably build a box in the engine compartment for the computer). Is this the most difficult way to do this? It seems most people revert back to OBDI from 90s Mustangs to do their swaps. What problems should I expect?

I expect getting fuel to the engine to be the biggest change required to make this work. Can I just buy an external pump and new high pressure fuel line or should I try to scavenge the fuel system from the Ranger before I part it out? The pump I have won't work on the fuel tank in the BII since this is the 84 with the old style tank and if I bought a newer tank I would still have to buy a new pump since the Ranger fuel pump doesn't cross reference to a fuel injected BII. Also, the current fuel tank in the BII is brand new. Bought it less than a couple hundred miles ago (about a year ago) before I planned on putting a fuel injected engine in there.

What else should I try to grab from the Ranger that will help with this swap? I need to get rid of the Ranger before I start the swap on the BII due to the limited room I have to work/store vehicles.

I could also just take the EFI off but I like EFI for driveability and fuel economy. Also, I think making this a carbed engine might be more expensive at this point since I would have to get a distributor and a new intake manifold (I have a 2150 with 1.21 venturi that could be used) and other miscellaneous parts.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Any suggestions on how best to build a fuel delivery system for a 96 Explorer 5.0 in a vehicle originally built with a carb?

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Anyone know the difference between the 84 and 86 fuel pumps? Could I fit an 86-90 fuel pump on my 84 tank to make that work for at least part of the fuel system?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Ford fuel gauges operate at different ohms before and after 1989. A 2.9 fuel pump should work with a fuel injected 5.0, but you need the 86-88 sending unit for your fuel gauge to work if using your stock gauges.

I'm actually thinking about swapping a '96 4.0L in my '84 Bronco II, so I'll have to get a '89-'90 pump and sending unit to but in my Bronco II fuel tank for it to work. I'll also going to try and swap in the newer dash and will need the 89-90 sending unit for my gauge to work.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Hmm...I'm seeing now this one only is only 6 psi, I would need an external pump to augment this one, something I'd rather not do. Ideally, I'd have one pump that would provide the pressure I need, more simple to put together/work on and fewer parts need to be purchased.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I wonder if I could use an 86-88 Fuel Pump Hanger Assembly Unit with a 90 pump swapped in?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to look in to this, but just making a quick thought, could you use a 89-90 pump and 86-88 sending unit?

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I wonder if I could use an 86-88 Fuel Pump Hanger Assembly Unit with a 90 pump swapped in?
I'd have to look in to this, but just making a quick thought, could you use a 89-90 pump and 86-88 sending unit?
I think we're thinking the same thing.

I might make a trip to the auto parts store and pick up a few things, at least if it doesn't work out I can return what I don't need. I usually buy auto parts on the internet and save a load of cash but returning stuff is not nearly as easy!

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Well, the bad news is there's no way a '90 Ranger Fuel pump sending unit will fit on an 84 BII tank. So, I'll need to get an 85-90 tank to go with an 87 sending unit and 90 pump...hopefully all that will fit together and store and deliver fuel for my engine swap.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think about the tanks being physically different.

The tank on the left is the 1986 and up FI tank, and the one on the right is the 1984 tank.

Attachments

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Well, I checked a few auto parts stores, none had an 87 BII fuel pump hanger available locally but they did have an 87 fuel pump so I compared it to the 90 Ranger pump and it looks like the 90 pump is a bit longer but I think it will work in the 87 hanger so I'm going to order an 87 hanger and tank to use with my 90 Ranger fuel lines and pump. Not sure if the 90 Ranger fuel lines are going to be long enough for a BII but I'm going to try to make it work if I can.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

surratt

Reaction score
yeah so im trying to figure out my fuel pump situation. I have a 87 bronco 2 that i swapped in a 5.0 fuel injected into. I have to replace the rusty tank and sender but im trying to figure out the best pump to use that will work. Some say the original will work and some say to get a newer one from a later model. Not sure what to do. The newer ones are longer and im not sure they will fit in the sender without modifying it.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Sorry for the late response but I recommend using the stock 87 pump setup, it should be adequate for 5.0 use. The later 89-90 Bii pump is very expensive compared to the 87 pump. I looked at that option too and decided to stick with the 87 style tank and pump (well, technically mine will be from a 90 ranger but still I'm doing that so I can use a single pump instead of the two pump setup from previous years).

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Well, only a few weeks later from my first post and I'm almost ready to take the engine out. Life has gotten in the way of this swap and it's sat in the shop for too long. I have replaced both the front and rear axles with Dana 35 and Explorer 8.8, though. And I've also stripped the floor, coated it with POR-15 and put bed liner down and put the seats back in. So it's not like I've done NOTHING to it! I have another project, an 88 F250 that I've got to get back on the road before I do too much work on the BII again. Hopefully soon I'll be back at it again.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I look back at my original dates that I started this four years ago and it's pretty silly how long it's taking me to do this. A couple months ago I got the original engine and tranny removed. And this past week, I got the 85+ fuel tank installed with the fuel lines from a 90 Ranger supercab (almost perfect length) the lines aren't permanently in place yet but just sitting loose against the frame.

I also have the 90 Ranger brake master cylinder and booster in place as well as the Ranger clutch master cylinder mounted. The engine and tranny/tcase both got prepped and ready to go in. I had to make a new tcase shift linkage to work with the increased length of the M5OD-R2 (10.5" link).