•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 B2 Headliner replacement

Stitch6719

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Cologne V6
Suspension Style
4wd
Hello, I'm new to the site and have recently acquired a 85 B2 XLT. It came with new headliner fabric still in a plastic wrapped roll, The cab itself is just the metal roof. What else do I need and if there a Article on how to put the headliner in? I'm a mechanical guy not a interior guy so new waters for me.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The only one I was ever involved in was a jeep Cherokee headliner we did on our Jeep. I was just helping with that.

Basically involved removing all the molding around the headliner, dome lamp and such which freed up the headliner. I can't remember if there were any other specific fasteners that we had to undo. Basically though that (and anything else holding it in place we removed) was it and we were then able to pull out the back liftgate.

The headliner itself was a fibrous foam like material that was semi rigid. The cloth that was on it had been hanging, that got completely pulled off. There was a bunch of disentrigated foam there. My guess is the reason the cloth was hanging was cause the surface that cloth on the inside of the headliner was disintegrating from age.

Cloth was already picked out. He wanted a cammo headliner so picked out material from local fabric store.

With the old cloth off we rubbed the surface to remove anything else loose. Then used a spray adhesive on the surface (seem to recall we went thru a few cans). Then pressed the fabric to it. We had already test fit the fabric in place before starting.

We pretty much relied upon the flexibility of the fabric to conform to the shape. There were just a couple places we had to slit and fold the fabric to conform to the inner surface. Along the edges we rolled the fabric over with a bit more adhesive held that down. We hat lots of cuts we had to do along the edge to get it to lay flat over the edge.

Then after it was all cured put it back in the Jeep. A couple people for that stage was definitely a help so one held one end up while other held the other end and put up some of the fasteners.

That was the basic process. I don't know how it is in the BII but I have to imagine it is somewhat similar since there is definitely some material backing the liner. Not like the old VW beetle I drove when I was 17 where literally the headliner felt just like stretched fabric between points.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Oh, I see you said there is just a metal roof. If you just have a roll of cloth I imagine you need that semi-rigid sort of material I mentioned. Might have to get one out of another vehicle. I know the one in the jeep was specifically shaped and cut to fit in the jeep.

Stitch6719

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Cologne V6
Suspension Style
4wd
Thanks. Ill have to look around and see what ideas I can come up with for the "backer board" I also need to find the trim pieces for along the rear side windows, and the upper portion of the rear hatch. LMC might be my best friend for those though.

Pelzworld

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
headliner

If you didn't get the egg carton material the upholstery glues to, you're probably toast. I just did mine and it's very fragile & it is my understanding you can't get them. Will have to find a donor to pull it from.