•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 Bronco II (4X4) 2.3L 4 cylinder

FlackBT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hi all, not new to the site but this is my first post. I thought that some of you might be interested in my 1986 Bronco II rebuild with a 2.3L, 8 plug 4 cylinder engine swap. I originally purchased the 86 Bronco II 4x4 in Florida for $650 (2012). The original 2.9L V6 had over 135k miles and I definitely wanted to put in a rebuilt engine because the Bronco II was in excellent shape. Absolutely no rust, original non-cracked dash, original cloth seats and a very clean interior. This car was garaged in Florida for over 22 years and it showed. The problem with the Bronco II was the owner let his teenage kid use it and there were a lot of dents in the hood, fenders and doors (easily fixable and again - no rust).

I then set out researching the Bronco II Corral & Ranger Forum on how I could install a rebuilt 2.3L 4 cylinder Lima engine in my Bronco II. I have to admit that my research left me with little information on how to do the swap. There is a slight bias against 4 cylinder engine swaps for Bronco II’s on the forums. My other goal was to eliminate as mush of the electronic engine controls and make the swap old school and as simple as possible, hopefully gaining better fuel mileage without losing too much power.

As shown in the pictures, my installed engine is a rebuilt 1990’s 2.3L 4 cylinder 8 plug (originally EFI) Ranger engine that I converted to an Autolite 2100 carb., mechanical fuel pump, GM HEI 4 pin ignition and a ProComp distributor & coil. If you notice in the pictures, my “wiring harness” now consists of only 7 wires to the engine – very simple. This engine runs great, has much better fuel mileage than the original 2.9L V6 and has ample power for my Bronco II. By the seat of my pants, I believe that the 2.3L with the Autolite 2100 carb. has equal to or better power than the original 2.9L V6 (remember the 2.9L had over 135k miles on it and I reduced the engine/transmission weight by over 400 lbs.).

As a side note, the original transmission was an A4LD automatic but I decided to go with a simple 5 speed rebuilt M5OD manual transmission out of a Ranger 4x4. This combination works great (2.3L 4 cylinder carb. engine with a 5 speed manual M5OD) and I am very happy with my rebuilt Bronco II. It is simple, dependable, easy on gas and very easy to maintain in a wide open engine compartment.

Hope you like the pictures

Attachments

FlackBT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Did you keep the stock fuel pump

No, I removed the electric fuel pump from the tank and installed a small pipe and screen in its place to reach the bottom of the tank. The manual fuel pump on the engine has no problem feeding gas to the carb.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Interesting swap. My 2.9L engine in my 88 B2 most likely needs new rings and/or valve seats, it burns oil pretty bad, however it doesn't seem to be lacking power that I can tell. The problem is unless you have the time, equipment, and place to do this type of work, you can pay a shop $5k+ to do this :(. So my B2's days are numbered, when this engine finally gives out it'll be done for. I don't have the time and patience to do this type of work, and I sure as hell don't have the money to pay a shop to do it HAHA!!

I'd be curious to know what the HP is on that engine converted to carburetor. My 88 B2 has the dreaded A4LD in it, $2400 later its rebuilt and operational, I do not trust that transmission at all. Wish I would have waited to get one with a manual transmission, or got another Ranger with a manual transmission.

Right now the B2 is my only vehicle, so its gotta keep going.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I wouldn't have thought I'd like a 4 cyl swap in a BII but I have to admit I'm envious of all that room to work on the engine. 400lbs lighter is a big plus. Are there plans to get the AC working?

I've gone back and forth on carb vs EFI. I know how to work on carbs and I like the simplicity of them. On the other hand I like that EFI is auto adjustable to temp, altitude, etc...

A4ld, my first BII had one and it was going strong at 80k+ when the BII was totalled. It was not gently driven but it never was used to tow a trailer. My friend had 90 with a 5 speed and for driveabiity I thought the A4ld was better but that is a small sample size.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I believe part of the trouble with the transmission in my B2 was the PO towed it behind his motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground. Which I believe is a no-no with that transmission. It seems to be fine since the rebuild, and its not a tow vehicle not even a trailer hitch on it, I want to add one just to be able to install one of those cargo carriers, or a bicycle carrier, but I won't use my B2 for towing even though I have a larger aux cooler on it now. Still need to get my tranny temp gauge installed too.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Nicely done! I have a turbo 4 out of a T-Bird, one day it will find a home.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No plans for AC.
I couldn't handle the heat in the BII here without AC. My BII was a 9 month a year driver until I fixed the AC, I can't imagine not having AC in Florida.

I actually did take it on 2 hour road trip when I first bought it in 90+ heat. I lost four pounds in those two hours :)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I couldn't handle the heat in the BII here without AC. My BII was a 9 month a year driver until I fixed the AC, I can't imagine not having AC in Florida.

I actually did take it on 2 hour road trip when I first bought it in 90+ heat. I lost four pounds in those two hours :)
It was downright unbearable in my B2 without AC as well, its like riding around in an oven due to not being able to open anything but the 2 door windows, and I'm stuck with only the driver window opening right now due to needing to fix some wiring issues in the passenger window wires. This is the huge downside to older vehicles the wiring crumbles.