•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 Bronco II Quitting on Me!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
The gr-yellow wire with the resistor seems to run from power dis. box to the tfi going by what the tech forum on here. Another gr-y

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
The gr-yellow wire with the resistor seems to run from power dis. box to the tfi going by what the tech forum on here. Another gr-y
Yes it mates up w/ gr-yellow from the coil and a gr-yellow from a plug not far from the coil and those 3 join into 1 that goes to the TFI. My schematic does not show these 3 joining into 1.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Only other wires those color green and yellow according to schematic’s goes to the injector’s on the 2.9 from what I’m seeing! Or maybe I’m looking at it wrong?!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
I got a junk 89 Bii, looked at it also! I know it’s newer. The wire’s on it don’t tie in together neither! Same as schematic! From your pics looks like a factory splice not a hacked in splice! That being first year 2.9 and share’s the same schematic’s with the 2.3l, just throwing this out there! Long shot on what I’m saying lol! Just maybe someone screwed up on the assembly line, grabbed a 2.3l harness that Monday morning and starting hooking thing’s up and realized after he was done oops wrong one! And spliced in what he needed! Not saying it happened! But you never know.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
I’m sure your not the only one! There’s another harness out there done the same way.

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
I got a junk 89 Bii, looked at it also! I know it’s newer. The wire’s on it don’t tie in together neither! Same as schematic! From your pics looks like a factory splice not a hacked in splice! That being first year 2.9 and share’s the same schematic’s with the 2.3l, just throwing this out there! Long shot on what I’m saying lol! Just maybe someone screwed up on the assembly line, grabbed a 2.3l harness that Monday morning and starting hooking thing’s up and realized after he was done oops wrong one! And spliced in what he needed! Not saying it happened! But you never know.
It’s funny you say that because once I saw the way these wires are joined together ( same as the tan wires) I thought they looked suspiciously like a ‘factory fix’. The tape covering these joints had that “strong white medical/EMS tape that disintegrates over time covering them. Who knows!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Kinda like Chevy done on some of there vehicles! A lot of 95 model’s have a obd2 port with a obd1 ecm! They will not connect to each other without a special adapter! Therefore me and you can’t read code’s to diagnose the problem. Yes you can buy one offline, but odds are it’s not gonna work! So then you have to take it to “rape shop” lol, to get it fixed. I don’t have 7 or 8 grand for a computer lol, and shop price’s these days are ridiculous! Glad I can do most things myself!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
I’ve deleted most of the emissions on my 2.8! No smog pump, cat delete, etc! Surprisingly no emission light while running.

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Kinda like Chevy done on some of there vehicles! A lot of 95 model’s have a obd2 port with a obd1 ecm! They will not connect to each other without a special adapter! Therefore me and you can’t read code’s to diagnose the problem. Yes you can buy one offline, but odds are it’s not gonna work! So then you have to take it to “rape shop” lol, to get it fixed. I don’t have 7 or 8 grand for a computer lol, and shop price’s these days are ridiculous! Glad I can do most things myself!
Exactly!….I am still learning as I go but things like what I am dealing with are just frustrating. I just want to figure out why this TFI is getting so hot, I can’t find anything else that would cause this motor to shut down. Strange thing is I can drive it @ 55mph for an hour or more and it won’t die. Just stop and go traffic or at idle and the motor warms.