•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 Bronco II Quitting on Me!

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Doesn’t go any higher
Nope , needle just passes the bottom of the O and that’s when I know she is about to go. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes to reach it at idle in the driveway or around the neighborhood stopping at stop signs so forth

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Had a 2.3l that had a crack between 2 valve’s in the head that kinda acting like your talking about. Only difference didn’t matter if in stop or go or highway driving! Sometimes go a couple of hours with no problems! Run awesome until it acted up

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Just throwing thing’s out there to check! Be something I would check just to rule out a leaking valve or compression issue!

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Just throwing thing’s out there to check! Be something I would check just to rule out a leaking valve or compression issue!
Possibly….but I feel something is wrong with this wiring…the heat sink/TFI get ridiculously hot , like can’t keep your fingers on it for more than a second hot!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Just reading back through what you have changed or replaced and seems like you have done everything but changed the coil and ECM! Only part’s left besides the wiring harness lol! I’ve never seen a coil act that way! ECM could be a possibility! Just an expensive try for it not to fix it.

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Just reading back through what you have changed or replaced and seems like you have done everything but changed the coil and ECM! Only part’s left besides the wiring harness lol! I’ve never seen a coil act that way! ECM could be a possibility! Just an expensive try for it not to fix it.
Yes exactly!…and I did try a new coil to no avail.

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Yes expensive…and all I want to do is get it running right so I can sell it. Embarrassing how much $ I have in this thing but it was a project to keep my mind focused on something at the time. Now I just want to recoup some of my $ without giving it away. Only things I have not replaced literally are the injectors, alternator and ecm. Maybe a couple odds and ends pieces.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
What have you checked out as soon as it dies? While the engine is still hot or warm and not starting back up.

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
What have you checked out as soon as it dies? While the engine is still hot or warm and not starting back up.
Fuel pressure, voltage, checked 3 times for vacuum leaks.

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Did it lose power to the injector’s, still have spark at plug’s or coming from coil when it dies? Just seems like we overlooking something! I know you covered your base’s, just make’s me wondering on the results as soon as it dies? What is not getting to make it run when at normal operating temperature? Run’s good when cold correct? Four thing’s to make an engine run. Air, fuel, spark, and of course compression! You have to be losing fuel or spark with the symptoms you having!

Bronco 2 man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Checked for fuel and spark as soon as it shuts off if possible! Just because it has fuel pressure to the injector’s doesn’t mean they are delivering fuel in the cylinder’s! Just trying to cover all the simple stuff!

Mhollis1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Did it lose power to the injector’s, still have spark at plug’s or coming from coil when it dies? Just seems like we overlooking something! I know you covered your base’s, just make’s me wondering on the results as soon as it dies? What is not getting to make it run when at normal operating temperature? Run’s good when cold correct? Four thing’s to make an engine run. Air, fuel, spark, and of course compression! You have to be losing fuel or spark with the symptoms you having!
Yes that is what’s troubling because I’m not losing those necessarily, it sputters and slowly stalls out making it difficult to get a reading on anything. Going to hopefully get a day this weekend or this week to see if I can ascertain all that. After it quits I can wait 1 minute or less , hit the ignition, it will start but slowly die again. Only after it cools -15 minutes will it start and stay running till heating up and the process starts all over