•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 Ford Bronco 2 4WD Question Help

AnonymousIdiot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Engine Size
So I have a 1986 bronco 2 manual 4wd, I turned on the 4wd and its like it got stuck, I had no choice but to drive it home like that. once I got home it went back to normal, but the problem is my bronco was smoking, some people said it was my bad breaks from the smell. did I juust destroy my 4wd? please help. I'm new to all this.

I can explain more if someone pm's me or replies, I'm nervous about it, I just bought this thing and I was so stoked on the 4wd until now, I feel like I just ruined my truck.
I forgot to add that in first and second gear when accelerating it makes a clicking sound
thanks

Last edited:

HOOKER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just joined forum yest,,
it prolly has a push button 4wd & automatic locking hubs,,
did ya backup ta disengage hubs,, people say 5' will unlock'm but I backup bout 15-20' & never had a problem...
I also changed my push button xfer case out bout 9yrs ago to a manual xfer but still kept the automatic hubs, I like not having to get out when I need my 4wd..

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
If the clicking sound was when accelerating in 2WD that is most likely the main drive shaft. These shafts use CV joints and when they wear out they make clicking sounds just like axle shaft CV joints in a front wheel drive car.

Smoke, hard to say, depends where from. If brakes, it is the brakes. Parking brakes are very likely to stick and not release so you can end up with those burning.

I had a collapsed brake line in a front wheel and it wouldn't release and got very hot. So hot that I couldn't touch the hub without burning my hand and the little center knob for locking the hub melted a bit. Once I got brake line fixed it was okay but eventually replaced the wheel bearing since grease and the bearing were badly abused by that.

Driving 4WD on dry pavement is not good and stress both front and rear running gear as well as transfer case. Just not enough slip.

Did you have the hubs locked? If not it shouldn't be a problem. As hooker said however if you have auto locking hubs there is that need to back up to get things to release and sometimes it can be stubborn to get released if tension has been wound up from moving in 4WD on dry pavement or other surface with insufficient slip.