•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 heads

Jason Greene

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just got an 86 BII Eddie Bauer.

It has 59K miles.

I was told that the first couple of years in the BII has head issues because of the minimum amount of aluminum in the head and they crack.

Mine might have this. It still runs.

I tested the pressure on the driver's side and they were 100/140/140.

So the first thought I've had was rather than buy two new heads, I'd find used one from the right year and replace them.

From my understanding, the head issue was fixed at Ford in 1990 through 1992.

I can see the head size difference in online pictures.

I have not found a 1990 through 1992 in Kansas city. The 80's ones are easy to find.

The only other issue is the lifters tap for a while.

I'm I going down the correct road here?

Thanks

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I bought new heads for my 88 B2 2.9, and they work great.
I would suggest new. Mine were about $450.00 for the pair with shipping. They have a 3 year warranty. Check Ebay for a supplier with good feedback.
When I installed the new heads I disassembled each lifter, cleaned each part and lubed them internally with Marvel oil. They have not made a sound since. It is also an excellent time to flush the coolant passages in the block. Make sure to use the factory temperature OEM thermostat.

Last edited:

Jason Greene

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, What I ended up doing is finding out that the heads are cast iron and not aluminum.
Then I pulled them off and from my eye and a head shop they are not cracked so I replaced the head gaskets and the all the other gaskets.

Now the oil is still getting radiator fluid because it is milky.

I replaced the idle sensor and the fuel pressure vacuum switch. She is running very will. Full power and full speed.

Even though she is running a lot better, the oil is getting water in it.

What should my next step be to find the internal water leak?

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I think you will have to remove the heads and get the machine shop to pressure test them. If they come back as good then it is a gasket problem or cracked block.

Headborg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
That is why it’s vital to replace those junk heads that crack if you sneeze on them - once you get water/oil mix the engine will be toast soon - the bearings will be gone shortly. I’d skip the machine shop expense and just can the heads - but first is the bearings still good ? Does it maintain 40-50 psi oil pressure. Try some block sealer over night to try to stop the coolant/oil mixing long enough to determine if the engine is salvageable... You can find a remanufactured long block for 1500.00 + shipping vs $500 just for the improved heads which would be a waste on a engine that needs a complete rebuilding

Last edited: