•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 2.9 no guts, no answers

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
My 87 XLT has no power. Under load when I step on the gas the rpms climb, but it falls flat on its face. You can feel the motor struggling to make power. This just started on a trip on the way home on the freeway. Here's what I've done/checked.
New TPS, plugs wires, coil-good. Vacuum hoses-good, cat/muffler-good, fuel pressure good. Replaced both fuel filters, cleaned both pumps. Found some rust in the old rear filter. ???

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco
Did you put a vacuum gauge on it to check for a restricted exhaust? Because it sure sounds like a plugged exhaust.

Is this intermittent... or it always acts this way?

Any check engine light?

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Mechanic says cat/muff are good. No check engine light and it is full time. Started on a trip home @ 35 miles on the freeway. Just lost power. Could barely make it up a slight incline. Next is to check the fuel filters again. If there's junk in them, then it's time to flush the tank. This thing is becoming more of a money pit than my x-wife!

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco
There are some capacitors in the PCM that go bad and can cause some drivability issues. It is free to open up the ECM and check them. Not saying it is your issue but it is certainly a possiblity.

Read this thread on TRS and you can also search "capacitors" for more information. Doesn't matter that it's a 3.0L... all ECM's have them.

..92 ranger 3.o with fuel pump issues. | The Ranger Station

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Thanks Unc,
I appreciate your suggestions. Once I get this sorted out, this will be one to write about and share with the brotherhood.
Nelson