•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 b2 no spark no tach

Toasted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
At wits end over this. Replaced plugs, wires, pickup, rotor, cap, coil, and TFI. Most due to age, but some, to chase down the electrical gremlin.

I've got an '85 ECU in it (it had a 2.9), I've checked spout and have 0 volts at connector with key on, ECU relay tested good. Same problems with original ECU, code BE1A.

Either this car is cursed or it's shoving 33 years of rage into my face!

Any help is appreciated besides for replacing even more.

No spark at coil, cap, plug, wire. Haven't checked TFI but it is an authentic motorcraft part, shouldn't be bad.

Toasted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Test was inconclusive, I'm only one person but everything checked out besides wiring. Just checked spout, one side has 10.2v (probably shouldn't) and the other references battery.

Coil checks out, TFI checks out, PIP rotor and cap are good. No spark at all from any point, my bad guess is that there's a short between spout and the computer causing one side to recieve steady voltage instead of pulses.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
85 didn't come with the 2.9, only a 2.8. 86 (edit: I wrote 87 before, it was 86 they switched) is when they switched to the 2.9. Did you see the BII that the ECU came from and it had a 2.9? 2.8 is a carb engine so you'd immediately be able to tell the difference.

Toasted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
85 didn't come with the 2.9, only a 2.8. 86 (edit: I wrote 87 before, it was 86 they switched) is when they switched to the 2.9. Did you see the BII that the ECU came from and it had a 2.9? 2.8 is a carb engine so you'd immediately be able to tell the difference.
Yard must have mislabeled it then, but it was probably an 86, no tach. Very clear it had a 2.9.

Turns out the coil negative (dark green/yellow) broke internally somewhere on its way across the bay. Ran a new temporary wire and it sparks good. Just needs to be timed and off she goes. I feel really stupid over that but nothing is ever easy!

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
Yard must have mislabeled it then, but it was probably an 86, no tach. Very clear it had a 2.9.

Turns out the coil negative (dark green/yellow) broke internally somewhere on its way across the bay. Ran a new temporary wire and it sparks good. Just needs to be timed and off she goes. I feel really stupid over that but nothing is ever easy!
Wiring can be hellish man, nothing to feel stupid over. Glad you got it fixed! Have fun tightening the distributor hold down bolt, gonna be elbow deep in there.