•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 Bronco II 2.9 liter keeps overheating

Nic360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey,

So I got my beautiful rig about 6 months ago knowing it had overheating issues. First thing I did was pressure test it and found out it was just the top radiator hose that was the issue. Only a month later it started overheating again as well as spewing coolant from the panel. Replaced the heater core and it worked great again. About 2 months ago I took it on a little trip and drove probably fast than I should have and it started overheating about every 20 minutes after pulling it over and letting it totally cool down. It wasn't leaking coolant at all so I figured it must be the thermostat. I replaced that and burped the radiator and it was running just fine again until a week later when the fan went out and so I replaced the blower motor. Once more it was running great until today when it started overheating when I drove 12 miles at 55 mph. I can't really think of what it could be now and this is my first Bronco so I was hoping to get some insight.

Some info that may be helpful:
It first started having issues when it was loaded with turf.
During the road trip I was driving faster than I should have been.
I know it has a small crack in the head but the oil is totally clean (just leaks a very small amount of oil on the exterior).
Both hot and cold work on the fan.
I replaced the belts about 3 months ago.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

joeycrack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was having overheating issue recently with my 88 b2 2.9. It ended up being the fan clutch that was the problem.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I was having overheating issue recently with my 88 b2 2.9. It ended up being the fan clutch that was the problem.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
I know this thread is a bit old, but...

I am pretty sure this is the trouble with my 88 B2 as well. It doesn't overheat but it runs hotter than normal, course the leaking radiator doesn't exactly help matters only, but when mine starts getting hot it has a very hard time cooling back down the fan clutch never engages I don't think, seems like its always in a freewheel type state.

Got a new radiator but need to get a new fan clutch, figured I'd knock all that out at once.

I'd start with a fan clutch, however if you have a cracked head, you need to attend to that ASAP before you cause permanent engine damage.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I know this thread is a bit old, but...

I am pretty sure this is the trouble with my 88 B2 as well. It doesn't overheat but it runs hotter than normal, course the leaking radiator doesn't exactly help matters only, but when mine starts getting hot it has a very hard time cooling back down the fan clutch never engages I don't think, seems like its always in a freewheel type state.

Got a new radiator but need to get a new fan clutch, figured I'd knock all that out at once.

I'd start with a fan clutch, however if you have a cracked head, you need to attend to that ASAP before you cause permanent engine damage.
I think if I got to that point I'd look at converting to an electric fan. Would probably need to convert to higher output alternator too but that's another thing I'd like to do at some point so it would be a good excuse to knock them both off the list.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I think if I got to that point I'd look at converting to an electric fan. Would probably need to convert to higher output alternator too but that's another thing I'd like to do at some point so it would be a good excuse to knock them both off the list.
Don't really want to tackle that fan mess. I'll just stick with the stock setup LOL. Maybe in the future when I have the extra money to do some modifications. Really not into doing too much want to keep it as stock as possible.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Don't really want to tackle that fan mess. I'll just stick with the stock setup LOL. Maybe in the future when I have the extra money to do some modifications. Really not into doing too much want to keep it as stock as possible.
I understand keeping it stock. I'll probably do that myself, but... the lure of gaining a few HP with an electric fan and upgrading the weak alternator is strong.

On the other hand if there is LED headlight swap available out there somewhere, that would reduce the need for a stronger alternator.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I understand keeping it stock. I'll probably do that myself, but... the lure of gaining a few HP with an electric fan and upgrading the weak alternator is strong.

On the other hand if there is LED headlight swap available out there somewhere, that would reduce the need for a stronger alternator.
I did put an 80amp alternator in a couple weeks ago as the stock 65amp was missing a field...so that issue is solved.

My bronco 2 is just for driving around town and eventually on trips so not concerned about doing a ton of mods to it to gain a couple HP although at some point I may look into the electric fan stuff but right now my wallet is always empty so many things I'd like to do or try is on the back burner :(.

I wouldn't mind replacing all the bulbs in my Bronco 2 with LED's, but I'm not sure if there's an LED headlight replacement, at least I haven't found or heard of any. I believe they make LED bulbs for practically every other place including the dome lights LOL.

I still need to get my shelf-it organizer shelf installed and the explorer visors installed LOL. Tons of things to do but no patience and get up and go to do any of it UGGGGG!!!!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I bought mine for the nostalgia and for something to keep me busy, it sure keeps me busy :)
But having said that, the things are more in the "want to do" than "have to do"column of the to do list.
It's been frustrating at times but fun too.

Oh one thing I remembered, when I got mine it didn't have the air deflector under the bumper. I added it later and it seemed that it ran a little cooler on the highway.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I bought mine for the nostalgia and for something to keep me busy, it sure keeps me busy :)
But having said that, the things are more in the "want to do" than "have to do"column of the to do list.
It's been frustrating at times but fun too.

Oh one thing I remembered, when I got mine it didn't have the air deflector under the bumper. I added it later and it seemed that it ran a little cooler on the highway.
My bronco 2 has the air deflector under the bumper. Really enjoy driving my bronco 2, and really don't want to do much to it other than get the paint redone on the rest of it, did the hood and the lower tan paint last year. Rest is really oxidized and the back hatch area needs attention as well for paint. Got a couple things I really need to get done before next winter and that's to get the rear defroster repaired, and the rear wiper fixed.

Mine doesn't overheat, and the past couple weeks it seems to have settled down again on the temperature where its about 1/2" up from the cold mark...I think the thermostat is failing in it...but need to get the leaky radiator replaced too, just need time to do it and now with spring coming on and warmer weather it probably won't be much longer and I'll be able to do it one evening after work now that its still light when I get home HAHA!!!