•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 b2 A/C Problem

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My neighbor just bought a little Bronco II. We charged up the AC with 134. the compressor would run for about 3 mins and stop, and run for 2 seconds and turn off, run for 2 seconds and turn off. We jumped the pressure switch and still did the same thing. so we thought it might have been a bad or shorting out clutch, so we hardwired the compressor with a battery charger and it worked like a champ. So we assumed the relay was weak, so we changed it and its still doing the same thing. anymore have an ideas???

Thanks!
Chaz.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Sounds like the refrigerant is leaking out. When you shorted the pressure switch, did you short out the switch itself, or the electrical connector that plugs into the switch?

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I jumped the plug. not the actual switch on the dryer. but when i jump it the compressor cycles on off, on 2 secoins, off 3-4 seconds, over and over. when i jump that should the compressor STAY running?

CHaz.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
There's no high-pressure switch? I would short out the switch again and check the voltage at the compressor. If there's no high-pressure switch then there should be a constant 12V at the compressor. If that checks out, it's time to check the high and low side pressures.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You say you put 134a into it... Has it been properly converted to use R-134a freon? (anything pre-'93 came from the factory with R-12)

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My neighbor just bought a little Bronco II. We charged up the AC with 134. the compressor would run for about 3 mins and stop, and run for 2 seconds and turn off, run for 2 seconds and turn off. We jumped the pressure switch and still did the same thing. so we thought it might have been a bad or shorting out clutch, so we hardwired the compressor with a battery charger and it worked like a champ. So we assumed the relay was weak, so we changed it and its still doing the same thing. anymore have an ideas???

Thanks!
Chaz.
Originally this trk used R12 refrig. Has it been retro fitted for R134,,, new reservoir, orifice tube, o-rings, new oil in compressor and reservoir(tank by evap on fire-wall). old gas should be re-claimed by tech with right equipment. take off compressor and reservoir(tank)then it has to be flushed out(evaperator, condenser, all lines, then blown out with compressed air to get the old oil and refrig. out. install new tank, orifice tube in inlet of tank, tighten all lines and fittings, install new oil in compressor and tank, evacuated(pumped down to a certain vacuum and hold vacuum for so long), then put in the new refrig. slowly with gages, maybe install new pressure switch also on tank good idea too. check to see if this trk has been retro fitted for R134.:icon_pepsi: