•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 Bronco II Project

Abritt87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey everyone! New to the forum. I have an 88 BII that has been sitting for almost 4 years. It last ran in the winter of 11-12 and ran fine. Put a new under door fuel pump in it at that time, oil change, fuel pump relay. In that time it was moved out of the shop into the lineup outside. Seals on the door windows were shot so rain got inside. Drivers side seat rusted out of the floor, now i need a new floor pan. Not sure on the passenger side yet. Anyone have any experience with these?

Truck doesnt run now. Has new plugs and everything is spinning fine. Dropped the tank and it is full of rust. Bought a new tank, in tank filter, and the emission module that goes in top. If that doesnt work, looks like I will try injectors next. Any other suggestions?

Kind of on my own with this one for the first time. Grandfather gave it to me a couple weeks before he died...he was a master Ford mechanic and owned a Winston Cup team in the early 80s so I had a hell of a resource. This is one of the only things I was able to get from his estate, so I am now getting it up and running. Looking to get it running.

So the list so far is:

Floor board (s), new seats, weather stripping, lift kit (only bc I need to replace shocks and springs anyways, figured might as well for the $), tires, already have most of the carpet ripped out, going to lay down bedliner instead.

Trying to keep it reasonable since there is no way i get the $ out of it, but at the same time, I need this to be reliable. Its at the race shop almost 200 miles from my house so when I take it home, it has to make it.

Anyone had similar fuel issues? Replaced floor boards or seats? Looks like floor pans are $50 on ebay. Everything I see on seats says to poach other Ford seats. Any aftermarket companies you know of? My searches have been unsuccessful so far.

Any suggestions for lift kit (4") are appreciated as well. Not doing anything serious in it. It will be a beach mobile and hunt in the winters.

Last thing that may or may not need to be done...4wd conversion but that's a conversation for after it is actually running again.

Thanks guys.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
For lifts depends on what you are looking for. For a simple 4" look at http://shop.broncograveyard.com/BDS-4-Pro-ride-Suspension-Systems/productinfo/93880/ They are really good kits and have a life time warranty.

Put in some explorer leaf springs. I put the explorer springs in about four months ago and the ride is ten times better and got about an inch up in the rear.

The kit I am looking to put in next year is the James Duff http://www.dufftuff.com/Bronco_II_5_6_Stage_3_Suspension_Lift_p/5050-3.htm

the reason I am going Duff is because you get new coil buckets, Transmission support, and upgraded radius arms. Also, this is a kit that can be converted to a SAS for the future. It is a lot more but will save in the long run seeing on how I don't ever plan to sell this truck. also it will fit 33's easy.

When you do the lift, keep in mind to go ahead and swap out the old nasty body mount bushings with new polyurethane bushings. That will have everything riding at the correct height.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
some resources to start looking at, LMC truck and the bronco grave yard - order yourself their catalogs, Ebay is a good source but some of the stuff is just junk be mindful of that.
is your bronco 2wd? you mentioned 4x4 swap?
if your doing a lift look (as already posted) at James Duff, it's a tad pricy but worth it (IMO), I just put one on my BII. I bought the 2 inch body lift and new bushings from them also. if your going to do the lift I'd find a front axle from a 91-94 explorer and upgrade from the dana 28 to the 35, better all around just make sure the gear ratio matches front and rear, it's the same set up, bolts in the same just beefier parts.
good luck, post some pic.