•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 bronco VTEC swap

ghealy96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Hey there I have an 88 manual Bronco II xlt with manual locking hubs . My engine is at 190xxx n still going strong so I figure now is the perfect time to start planning it’s inevitable enonge failure . I’m torn between a tdi diesel swap for the fuel mileage, except to get decent power(90hp stock) out of them you have to mod them a lot which I feel will lose all mpg advantage . So now I’m looking into a I-VTEC. These engines turn off half the engine at cruising speeds n low power times to conserve fuel but get 220(hp n torque) on stock engines. Honda pilots wieghing 4500lb get 19/28 mpg - although more aerodynamic they are a bit longer than the bronco n wider I believe. They’re very Similar to the standard v6 VTEC’s just more fuel efficient than fast - but with 80 more hp than my stock bronco I think I’ll be ok :p . So really I’m wondering if anyone’s swapped a Bronco II with a VTEC and if there’s any info on that around . I tried looking it up but it doesn’t seem like a popular swap-

Some additional info the I VTEC weighs 360lb with fluids I believe and isn’t to different from the normal VTEC in means of dimensions . So I’m not sure with the added power if upgrading suspension and steering components is necessary but if so I don’t mind doing it. Just trying to figure out what I should start planning on upgrading and what I should hold off on till I drop a new engine in. Example-I wanna redo exhaust but may wait to plan my exhaust around a new engine , or upgrading suspension steering now and get it out of way

Last edited:

ghealy96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I’m just gonna keep adding notes as I research them so if anyone has something to add or comment, please do :) the specific ivtec is the j-series , j35 seems to be most common.

2003 Honda Inspire
2004+ Honda Elysion V6
2005–2007 Honda Accord Hybrid (JNA1)
2005+ Honda Odyssey (USDM) EX-L and Touring Models only (J35)
2006–2008 Honda Pilot 2WD Models only (J35)

Being that my car is set up with 4wd already, they’re shouldn’t be anything special to do if I use a engine from a 2wd vehicle? other than mating engine/transmission?