•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88bII 4x4 issues

88broncII

Reaction score
Picked up a Eddie Bauer edition bronc2 notice the 4x4 isn't working the push button lights come on. I happen to jack the rear end up to check my rear u joint well I forgot about the jack and tried to pull forward(obviously) rear tires spun so I put it in 4x4 and lights came on and it won't engage? The front drive shaft spins but not locking in the front. Any help would be appreciated

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
First question is if manual or auto locking hubs on the front?

Usually from the factor the push button is on auto locking hub systems...BUT it could have had manual hubs swapped onto it. I did that with my 89 BII.

Easy to tell, if manual hubs there will be a knob on the end. The manual retrofit feeds back signals to the auto system to make it think the hubs are locked.

If it isn't that then it would appear that there are problems with both auto locking hubs. I don't really know the auto system so can't help there.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Most likely a bad hub. If the front driveshaft is spinning then the t-case is shifting into 4wd. When the front driveshaft is spinning, check to see if the axle shafts are turning. If they are then it has to be a broken or malfunctioning hub. If the axleshafts aren't turning, but the driveshaft is, then you have an issue in the differential. Either broken ring and pinion, broken spider gear, or broken cross shaft. All of those are pretty uncommon unless you had the thing out in the rocks though

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I also misspoke. It only take one hub not activating for it to not move. All the drive shaft rotation would go to the wheel that is not engaging. It was my thinking of improbability of both not working was suggesting something more obtuse such as hubs having been swapped. Then again on something this old, if it never saw any real use it wouldn't be that surprising.