•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

89 Bronco 11 heating

wwgx90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco 11
Just bought a 89 Bronco 11, drove it about 12 mi no problems, came home and after a few minutes heard a bubbling sound. raised the hood and the water was backfilling the canister. after a few mi the water drained back down. Any suggestions: thermostat, water pump, etc?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm going to assume you have a 2.9L... correct?

These engines don't like to be overheated... it will typically crack the heads.

I would proceed with caution while trying to figure it out. There are many things that can cause over heating... ignition timing... coolant level/condition/flow... thermostat... water pump... plugged radiator... etc...

The first thing you should do is google "cooling system glove test". This should tell you if you have a problem with head gaskets/cracked heads. Its common on 2.9L engines and the first thing I would rule out.

wwgx90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco 11

I would proceed with caution while trying to figure it out. There are many things that can cause over heating... ignition timing... coolant level/condition/flow... thermostat... water pump... plugged radiator... etc...

The first thing you should do is google "cooling system glove test". This should tell you if you have a problem with head gaskets/cracked heads. Its common on 2.9L engines and the first thing I would rule out.
Tks for the info, going to check for the blown head gasket and proceed from there.

wwgx90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco 11

Yes 2.9L. Will check out the glove test.