•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

89 Bronco II Blower Motor/Evaporator core enclosure replacement

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
Spent some time working on the 89 over the past week (most of that time was waiting for parts). Pulled it in the shop to do one thing and the water pump was pissing water from the gasket. That's another story, but I got it replaced and no more leaks.

Onto the A/C.
About a year ago I was in a little wreck and had to replace some things, while I was there I decided to replace all the front end bushings. When I got to the radius arms I cut the heads off the rivets and popped them out (easier said than done). In that process I was pissed off and not paying attention to where the sparks off the grinder were going. Can you guess where? Right onto the enclosure for the evap core/blower motor.

As you can see, it's all fucked up. Basically melted a hole into the enclosure and the aluminum you see if the evaporator core. I didn't get a picture but you could see straight up all the way to the top of the enclosure.

Thankfully I have another BII (87) that has been sitting broken for half a decade (I know, but if you knew what it'll take to get it running again you'd know why. Frame is bent, no front end, etc etc). I looked at the enclosure in there and it's the exact same, except no big melty hole!

I started out by pulling out the enclosure from the 87. The fender liner was already gone, so I was able to get to the underside just fine. Pulled the blower motor, air cleaner box, and intake tube. The next part was the real idiotic part that I probably shouldn't tell anybody because I'll look stupid, but maybe y'all can learn from my mistakes. I thought I had to remove all the bolts/nuts surrounding the enclosure (there's about 16 total, 12 bolts 4 nuts). I went ahead and did that without too many issues and got the box out. I had to disconnect the top hose going into the evap core to finesse it out.

Now we can move onto the 89. I pulled off the wheel, fender liner, air cleaner, vacuum reservoir, and intake tube. Pulled out the blower motor. Went ahead and pulled all the 12 bolts and 4 nuts out. Had to disconnect the trans dipstick tube to get to one of the bolts (easy to get to because fender liner was removed). After I got them all removed I had to try and break the plastic free from the evap core (didn't wanna remove it, because freon). Tried just wiggling the right side piece around to try and break it free but no dice, so I got under the truck with a long screwdriver. Got about half the plastic broke free and ended up putting a hole in the core. No good, but it is what it is. After that I just went ahead and pulled the evap core, ordered a new one. Got the enclosure pulled out and the hole was actually a lot bigger than I thought.
OLD:

"NEW":

Now onto the kicker of this whole thing. I didn't realize this until I was putting the box back in, but I didn't have to remove the 12 bolts that I removed, only the 4 nuts. As you can see here, the only thing holding the enclosure to the cab is 4 studs with nuts on them. The 12 bolts just hold the two pieces of the clamshell together.

I didn't realize that until I was putting the new enclosure in and was on the last bolt, but what's done is done. If you're doing this job, save yourself the headache, remove the evap core, and disconnect the 4 nuts. If you're not removing the evap core then you have to remove all the bolts to open up the clamshell and pull the enclosure out in two pieces.

Got everything put back together and finished the water pump, got the belts on and started it up. crank crank, vroom... no more vroom. Basically it started up for about two seconds then died, figured out it was the TPS connector because I've had issues with it before and pins are fucked up. Got the pins connected good enough for it to run to refill the a/c (replaced it later so I don't have to worry about it again). Rented a vacuum pump and gauge set from O'Reilly's. Got about 5 cans of freon and had another one at home. Pro tip: If you're renting a gauge set from O'Reilly's you also need the valve for the cans. This valve only works on the non-self-sealing cans. Don't try to use it on the self-sealing cans. If you have self-sealing cans you need to pick up an adapter to go on the valve. Bunch of hooplah. Anyways, got the gauges hooked up, vacuum pump on the yellow hose, turn it on, then open up the high and low side valves at the manifold set (there's knobs where the hoses hook to the ports on the vehicle, make sure you open up those first). Pulled a vacuum for 45 minutes.

Closed both low and high side valves, shut off the pump, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Got home and it's still holding vacuum... Hell yeah.

Filled the a/c system using about two and a half cans (just about 2 pounds of r134, which is what the system takes. 2-1/2lbs of r12 equates to 2lbs of r134). Blowing ice cold and blowing hard. Better than she's ever blown before.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
You do realize that Crocs are not Ford approved footwear to use while working on your Bronco II. LOL
LeBronCo.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
You do realize that Crocs are not Ford approved footwear to use while working on your Bronco II. LOL
LeBronCo.
:LOL:

Ford doesn't have to know... I've welded in Crocs before, would not recommend.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Getting ready to tackle the AC on my 85 B2. Previous owner had removed pretty much everything, but luckily he saved the compressor brackets and bolts to attach the compressor. Purchased a new compressor, dryer, condenser and ac evaporator. Hoses look to be in good enough shape to reuse. Will keep you posted.