•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A few problems

Goober

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
A few problems (Edited)

Hi everybody first post here. I just bought an 88 with the 2.9 liter and when I bought it it had a terrible misfire which ended up being a spark plug wire melted in half on the exhaust manifold. I replaced plugs and wires the, distributor cap looks fairly new. I then found the wiring harness to the O2 sensor melted on the exhaust pipe. I splice the wires together for now.
These are the issues I'm having now:
For the most part it runs like a champ but every now and again it will bog and surge. It smells very rich but on the contrary seems like its starving for fuel.
Codes
KOEO: 11
C: 14, 18, 29, 53, 61 96
KOER: 98, 61.

Acording to my scanner's book, most of that seems to be incorrect voltages to various components... Would it be unreasonable to assume a ground issue? Where would you pros start?
I'd like to find definite answers instead of just throwing parts at it, but my automotive troubleshooting isn't quite up to par

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Off the top of my head, there's a battery to frame ground, battery to core support ground and a cylinder head (driver side) to firewall ground. Check/clean those.

crosshairs4495

Reaction score
There's also a large ground passengerside behind the firewall which cause the same problem for me attaches to the side of the engine above the oil filter I also added a ground from the frame to the cross bar the radiator is mounted to from both driver and passenger side just to make sure everything was getting a ground. Also check your ignition solenoid mine got burnt up and I had to replace it because it wasn't ground well enough if your having an,issue with starting

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Goober

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Do you guys agree that bag grounding could be the culprit? I redid pos/negative connections to the battery, as well as all three grounds connected to the radiator mount. I can see the big ground that disappears under the engine looks to be in poor shape, I'd assume it grounds to the block somewhere, but didn't crawl under neath to verify, and it was too late to go pick up a new one. Didn't get around to it today either haha. The truck seemed absolutely fine after doing all of that, I drove around for an hour or so to test it, shut it down at a buddies house and about a minute later it started up with it's $h!t again. Same deal, would bog down, nearly stall, run like crap, then be fine for a while and start up again.

crosshairs4495

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be that ground wire maybe a fuel or sensor issue I had that problem, with an engine I got one of my sister's friends that I swapped into my B2 had a very very small leak on the fuel pressure regulator work goes into the fuel rail it wasn't leaking oil but instead it was leaking air and sucking air into the fuel injectors causing it to get insufficient Fuel and lack of fuel pressure 2 o-ring fixed that but now I need to rebuild the injectors... Check all connections your fuel relay should be on the passenger side I popped my,cap off and its a little copper contactor push it over and make contact to trigger your fuel system just listen for a hissing,or small bubbles and find a leak somewhere. The bronco 2s are notorious for having issues with injectors rebuild kits are like 2 or 3 bucks per injector on rock auto more time required than anything and an air compressor is useful. Hopefully that helps

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk